Monday, November 22, 2010

1/19/1945 Jim Erwin to Gladys Dahlstrom

Jim in India
Gladys at 9007 S. Elizabeth, Chicago

Dear Gladys,

First of all, thanks a million for the lovely Christmas package. It came in plenty of time. I enjoyed getting everything. I really had a wonderful Christmas and hope you all did the same.

Our weather in the evenings still is cold and foggy. The days are getting warmer now.

I am going with one of the new Red Cross girls so don't mind India at all now.

Played a kid tennis the other day. Beat him 6-2 6-0. We only had two rackets here at special service but have gotten ten more recently. A lot of fellows would like to play if the courts were closer. We are going to build some courts in our area soon.

The officer in charge is a Captain Beck, the man from Seattle is a 1st Lt. They both are swell and enjoy working here. The Capt. is on leave to Calcutta now so I use his jeep all the time.

The picture of all the girls at the cabin is very nice. Who does the dog belong to? Is that the one Cully had?

A girl from California sent me a package with a qt of liquor in it and it's the only package that hasn't arrived. Hope it shows up. That stuff is like gold up here.

I received and finished an accounting course. Have applied for the next one now. After each course, I'll get a certificate. Some of the later courses give college credit. I can get all the courses I could have gotten by going four years to college. The one I just sent for has to come from the states so will probably be a couple months before it arrives.

The Red Cross had a ping pong tournament last week and I won that. Got a couple cartons of cigarettes and some bars [beers?]. A kid in my sqdn and I are going to play every other week and split the prize. Good racket if nobody shows up and beats us.

The group uses our squadron's basketball court for all the games because it's the only court with lights on it. We have played two games and lost both. Hope to get started soon. Our sqdn won the championship last year while in Florida.

Hope the Hawks [Chicago Blackhawks] have started winning some games. Last paper I saw they were still last. How is Cully [Dahlstrom] doing? Making any goals?

One of the officers in charge here at special service is from Seattle. We have a good time talking about Wash.

We have had several traveling shows here and more are coming. Everybody enjoys them. Lilly Pons & husband are coming next month.

There are some rumors floating around that we might move soon but I doubt it. Everything has been set up for a long stay.

Thanks again for the Christmas package. Say hello to Cully and Bernice for me. Jeannie wouldn't know who you were talking about.

With love,
Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading