Thursday, October 23, 2008

285 12/4/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
200 Chamber of Commerce, Minneapolis, Minn.
Friday, December 04, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
We have been getting a lot of very nice letters from you and still have not been very good at answering them.
The first part of the month is always hard for me to write at the office. For some reason or other if I do not get a letter written during the day I just let it go. When I get home there seems to be so many things to do. If I do not go out I have to wash or iron or feel like going to bed right after dinner.
I'm so glad it has been cold enough out there to freeze the pond. I know how much Jim likes to skate. That would be a swell idea for you, mother, to learn to skate. I bet Jim was plenty cold when he fell through the ice. I hate to even think about it. Well, if he can get a lot of practice and keep up with his good work maybe he can be a hockey player some day. It is a pretty good sport and doesn't pay so bad either. I guess the boys play about 5 months out of the year. Cully works during the summer months for B. F. Nelson Roofing Co. It is over on Nicollet Island.
Every time I get a letter from Bill I get a little more disgusted. I don't know what will become of it all. I guess I told you he was flying home for Christmas. He leaves there early Sat. morning the 19th and will get home 5 hours later. The plane goes via Omaha and stops there for about an hour. That is why it takes so long. He got a round-trip ticket so will be going back by plane too. He said he was coming home for his vacation but still hasn't told me if that means for one week or two weeks. I really hope it is only one week. Just because he is flying home he won't be able to do another darn thing. The train costs about 20 dollars and the plane $52 something. I think it is plenty crazy. He has been going out pretty regularly with some wealthy politician's daughter from Kansas City. That ought to make Mrs. Corl feel pretty good. He and this gal are attendants at a big wedding the night before Bill comes home. Of course there will be a big reception and he is hoping that he doesn't miss his plane that leaves at 4:55 A.M. He sure will feel swell when he gets here. I don't see why I should give up too much for him while he is here - not to the extent that I will lose out on everything after he goes back - Do you? Cully knows that he is coming home but doesn't know how long he expects to stay. Cully leaves the 17th, Bill arrives the 19th, and then Cully will be back Dec. 27th. I think I will be in a nice pickle about then.
Bill's address in K.C. is 3520 Olive but there really is no use sending a card there as long as he leaves a whole week before Xmas. His address here in Minneapolis is 4129 Linden Hills Blvd., Mpls., Minn.
I was out to Jensen's last night to play cards. They have again invited Helen and me to spend Christmas Eve with them and we were plenty glad to accept. We had such a nice time last year and know we will again this year.
The temperature was 3ยบ above zero when I left this morning. Yesterday we had a lot of snow. It is very pretty out, though, because the snow was sticky and stayed on all the trees and bushes. It is so nice and white and fresh.
I am quite sure that Woodfills plan to take the trip west alone next summer. I told them Viola planned to go out and they said they wanted to be sure to not go when she did because they wanted to be out there alone. I don't blame them either. It is nicer for everyone to visit separately and not so much work for you.
I've got to stop again and do some work for Miss Petersen. If I can I will add more before I go home.
Love, Gladys.
I will call Gertrude at the Banner real soon. I know she is still there because I saw her across the street the other day, but not to talk to.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading