Sunday, November 23, 2008

622 6/23/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Friday, June 23, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
I arrived in Chicago an hour late Wednesday night. Cully was there to meet me. We called Gladys and were out here by 8 pm. She and the children came to meet us. They live just three blocks from where Cully gets off the train.
Everyone is fine and they have a real nice place. It will take time to do everything that they want done, but you know how Cully is, he fixed everything as fast as he can. Right now he is going to school.
Yesterday was our 34th wedding anniversary. Did not get to write even a note to you. We drove down in the car after the trunk, then went to Lincoln park where we had lunch. Took a nice drive along the lake shore. Gladys lives out so far it took a long time for us to get home. Cully had to go to a meeting last night so was not home for dinner. Gladys and I went after a Singer sewing machine she had bought for $10.00 from some woman that is moving to Texas. I am going to make her kitchen curtains today for her.
Gladys called about reservations for me, but can not get a thing within 30 days, so I am taking a day coach out of here Tuesday night for Portland. Will go thru Omaha straight west to Portland. Arriving there Friday morning on the same train I would have if I had come up thru Denver. With connections with it somewhere in Wyoming.
The weather is cooler here. There was a nice breeze all last night and again this morning. If this keeps up I’ll have nothing to complain about.
I took the day coach out of Cincinnati. Sat with a young girl from Minneapolis. There were several vacant seats in the coach I was in. Also in the coach ahead. Most of the people around me were going further west. Some way thru to the coast. I do not worry about getting a seat and feel I’ll get along O.K. on the trip without a berth.
A letter came from Helen this morning. She enclosed a letter from Jim. He said that they would be moving on soon. He had just received my letter sent from Kansas City May 21st.
Gladys has been washing out a few things. Soon as she is thru we are going down to the store. There is a nice shopping district not far from here.
Ruthie is talking to me. I think she is a very nice little girl. She has a nice little playmate only a few houses away. Jeannie is walking now.
Will write again.
With love, Sadie.
Tell Stella I have told Gladys to buy a sewing machine for her if she can get one reasonable.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading