Wednesday, December 3, 2008

240 6/26/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, June 26, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Mary and Jimmy just went to bed so I will write to you now. We spent the afternoon at the lake today so everyone is tired tonight. There is such a nice lake on the other side of Hopkins called Shady Oak and that is where we do all our swimming as the city lakes are so crowded and dirty. Every morning Charlotte Murphy, my neighbor, and I and our children go out to Shady Oak so we are all getting pretty good tans by now and my ironing is piling up higher and higher. During week days we go about ten o'clock and get back home by noon. The kids are all taking swimming lessons out there three mornings a week.
Friday morning Jim's letter came and my first reaction after seeing the check was to sit right down and write to him and return the check. I just hate like the dickens to borrow money from you folks but I thought and thought about it and decided that was really the only way I could make the trip this summer. Then in the afternoon mail your letter came with the check for 50 dollars so that settled everything for me right then and there because I had the 100 dollars with your first check. It is strictly a loan and neither Elmer nor I would think of having it any other way, and I'll be able to pay it back this Fall. Jim mentioned all we had done for him but that was nothing and I had the pleasure of getting to see Jim and that sure meant a lot to me. Elmer's office picnic is July 8th and he wants me to go with him to that so I better wait until the 15th as I can use the time in getting more clothes made and that will still give me a good month out there before having to get back for school. It certainly is wonderful to have such a swell family.
We had more bad luck last week. I went out one day and bought my groceries for the week. I have been buying every other day or so but decided maybe I could cut down on my grocery bill if I bought for the week so I came home with all the meat and stuff and put the meat in the ice tray compartment and during the night our old refrigerator stopped and by the time I got up in the morning and discovered it my milk had all soured and I was afraid of the meat as the weather is so hot and meat spoils in a hurry. Well we went out that day and bought a new refrigerator. We got it from Russ Fernstrom and he made us a very good deal, we thought. He sold us a lovely new 9 foot Westinghouse for 215 dollars. It sure is a nice big one and I'm crazy about it but I was just sick when it happened at this time and the first thing I thought of was that cancelled my trip for sure, and I am so awfully glad I can still come. Jan Martin is going to give me a permanent one night this week.
We aren't doing anything special over the 4th weekend. We will have to go over to Powderhorn to see the fireworks for one thing. Minneapolis does just everything for children. The swimming lessons are all free and they are given at every single lake around here. There is always a doll buggy parade or something going on at some park or other.
Did you Folks have a nice anniversary? I guess you celebrated it by going to your Association, Mother. It's too bad you couldn't go too, Pop.
I am pretty sure I will come out over the Northern Pacific route. I should have an easy trip this time because the children are bigger. I will bring cards and games and books along so there will be plenty for them to do. Shall I get off at Seattle? Gladys had said she would meet me.
Well Folks, I want to write Jim a note so will stop for this time but I will thank you more adequately for the checks when I get there.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading