Tuesday, December 2, 2008

184 10/11/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Monday, October 11, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I just put some potatoes and squash in the oven so will write to you before I do anything else.
Elmer stayed home from work today because I got so sick last night but feel just about o.k. now. I didn't have anything good to put in Jimmy's and Elmer's lunches so last night about nine o'clock I baked some cupcakes and when they were done I frosted them and gobbled about three of them right down before they were even cool and I think that is what did it because I woke up during the night and all I could think of was cupcakes and everything came up and then I felt better, but I did stay in bed all morning and Jimmy and Mary just couldn't get over my not feeling good because I don't believe they can remember of my being sick before. It must be at least three years since I've had a bad day. Jimmy even hated to go to school but he felt better about it when he got home and saw I was up and dressed. Tomorrow I'm invited out to lunch and hate to go as I have lots of work to do around here but guess I'll have to. Mabel Bray and I are invited over to Adeline Pearson's for lunch.
I certainly had a busy week last week. Mabel had me over for lunch Tuesday, Selma had me over for lunch Wednesday, and Thursday Doris Ducret had me over to her house for lunch. Saturday night we were invited over to Ducret's too. You know that is George, who stayed with us. We brought the violin because George likes to play and he had lots of fun playing it and he is really good. Doris had an awful time making him quit, as she was afraid he would bother the people who live on the other half of their house.
Christmas Eve, we are invited over to Recroft's. Doris and George and their boys are invited too. Recrofts are the ones from Atlanta so we have all known each other for a long time. Of course both of those couples are alone here and we don't plan to spend the holidays with anybody so I think it will be fun. I would have them all over here for Thanksgiving if I only had a larger table. Maybe I can think of something so I can make more room.
Well the old storm windows are going on now. So far our weather is very nice but it can change suddenly.
Gladys' news about having another baby created quite a stir in Minneapolis. Everyone called me and I waited and let everyone mention it first because I thought I better not tell the news before Gladys did.
I wish you could see Jimmy now. He is so much like big Jim in so many ways. Just the way he looks when he comes downstairs in the morning with his pajamas on and the way he does things. I certainly am planning on coming out next summer. I'd like to come as soon as school is out and then I could stay as long as I wanted to. I will be anxious to see Glad's new baby too, and of course I can't wait until I see Gary. He was one year old the first wasn't he. I sent him a little present but of course it was late although I didn't realize that his birthday was on the first.
Pop, you will be soon having a birthday too. Is Stella still working at the store? I hope you folks still take your day off each week.
Well I had better stop now and get the table set but I will write soon again. I hope everything is fine with all of you.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading