Thursday, November 6, 2008

471 3/15/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, March 15, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Today we had a letter from Bob and he was writing it in the hospital over in Africa. The hospital was in a big tent and he said it surely felt good to sleep between clean sheets again since it was the first time in ages he had been able to. He said he had been fighting in the front lines and some Messerschmitts had come over this day and bombed them but he managed to jump in his fox hole in time but he said the boy next to him didn’t get into his in time so I suppose he was killed. Bob’s letter was very cheerful but I certainly hope he wasn’t hurt any worse than he said he was. He said he was scratched up a little and as soon as the stitches healed in his leg he would be back in it again. He said he heard he was going to receive the Purple Heart when he got back to his outfit again and he would be glad to have it because it would be a good thing for his kids to teeth on. Have you heard from Jim yet. Every time the telephone rings I think maybe it is Jim calling me. I had a card from him Saturday mailed from Fort Lewis but he probably has left there by now. It certainly gave me a funny feeling when I saw Private Jim written on the return address. I had a nice letter from Glad Saturday too and I am so glad you got to see Jim Sunday.
It was awfully hot here today but quite a strong wind blowing so that made it seem a little cooler. I had a letter from Ora Dell Allen Saturday and she had received my bassinette and certainly is glad to have it. I am glad to have someone else get some use out of it.
Sandy had a hard time getting her new teeth just like Jimmie did. He got three all at the same time practically too, they all came in the same week and he has more coming in now, but they aren’t bothering him any. He drinks his milk all by himself now from a glass and thinks it is so much fun holding the glass he drinks about three times as much. I don’t even have to stand there and help him but fix his other food while he is drinking milk. It took him a while to learn how to tip the glass after he drank some but he does it just swell now. Sometimes when he gets full he tips it over on his highchair or throws the glass on the floor but I start watching him when I know he has had about enough. I missed out on my last sugar coupon because I forgot all about getting it Saturday and it is too late now so I missed out on nine pounds and it makes me just sick because although I don’t need it you do so I hate to miss out on it. Could you use coupons already torn out of the book or does the grocer have to take it out himself. If you could use mine I would send you my number twelve ones.
Dear Folks,
It is really a hot summer day today. Tuesday is my day for being lazy because the colored woman comes and cleans the house. She certainly does a swell job of it.
Jimmie and I are going out and mail this now and I’m going to take some pictures too.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading