Monday, November 17, 2008

585 5/15/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, May 15, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mother may be on her way before this gets there but maybe not. I suppose you have had your ticket changed by now and I was thinking it would be better to just get it to Lake Charles because I don’t think you will want to go through Kansas City on your way home from Tennessee. Anyway you can always change it here too.
I haven’t heard from Elmer yet except a wire that he arrived in Knoxville O.K. I’m getting along fine by myself and have lots of company and haven’t gotten scared at night yet. I sure hope the baby isn’t late now as I’m anxious to get started for Tennessee. Elmer sent me a beautiful string of pearls from New Orleans for Mother’s Day. I especially appreciated them because he thought about it all by himself.
10:00 P.M.
Tonight Esther and Olney Dean took Jimmie and me out for dinner and then we went over to see the Atkins.
Jimmie misses Elmer so much that I don’t think he will forget about him before he sees him again.
I am anxious to hear about our house in Knoxville. I told Elmer to find out about it the first thing so we wouldn’t lose out on it.
I bet Glad and Cully have been on the go ever since they arrived. A big job is going to start up in Whiting, Indiana in the fall. Whiting is just outside of Chicago so maybe sometime we will be sent there. I would like to go there if Glad were living in Chicago.
Mom I hope your watch gets there before you leave. I certainly hope you will get along alright, Pop and will feel real good.
I’m having some bad trouble with the car. The head or block is cracked on the outside but all the men I know are helping me to find another one. Oren Atkins is a good mechanic and he is going to fix it for me if I can find the part.
Well Folks I guess I’ll go to bed now and I hope you’ll get along fine on your trip, Mom, and I hope you feel good now Pop. Wish you could come too.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading