Wednesday, November 12, 2008

552 2/23/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Lakeland Field, Lakeland, Florida
Wednesday, February 23, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Just a note this morning to send my income tax returns to you.
I went over to the finance office to see a private that is supposed to know all about the income tax situation. He was on K.P. so went over to the mess hall. He sat right down and started figuring. He made out this simplified form which is very easy. I’ll get back the $117.50 plus the $16.47 the shipyard took out for victory tax. He said I was lucky in this way to be in the service.
The $12.50 you will see on the form is approximate interest drawn on my war bonds. If I waited until bonds expired I’d have to pay $125.00 interest. I won’t be paying anything on the $12.50 this year because my exemptions cover it.
I will send all the stuff back to you and you can send it in. Be sure to put in the statement asked for. I underlined it on the bottom. Mail it in with the return. Keep everything else for duplicates and verification.
I might not get the money for a long time but will get it some day. If I haven’t received it by the next time I have income tax to pay, I’ll just tell them they owe me so much.
The sky is very cloudy and feels very much like rain. Hope it rains all day and then we won’t have to stand our retreat parade late this afternoon.
Will write again soon. Don’t forget to send Helen’s address.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading