Tuesday, November 25, 2008

26 8/1/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Tuesday, August 01, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had just settled down to a nice nap when I noticed it looked like rain so went out and brought my clothes in and was just in time as it is raining hard now.
Yesterday I took Mary down to be weighed and she weighs 14 lbs. now so evidently is still getting enough to eat. She sure is a fat little girl. Next month I am going to start giving her the baby foods.
We haven't been doing much of anything. The swimming pool is finished so I took Jimmie down there to watch the kids swim today. All the pool is is a cleared out big lake with water in it. There is a raft and bathing house for changing clothes.
I decided to take a nap after all and we slept until six o'clock. Elmer had to work tonight I guess as he hasn't come home yet. I'm glad I didn't get dinner already like I usually do and then have him not come. There is no way to let me know when he has to work but if he isn't here by six I know he will be late.
Elmer said that McKim was back to work yesterday. He heard that his first wife had reported him for not supporting their child but Elmer doesn't know if that's why those men came for him or not. Anyway while McKim was gone they broke the lock to his desk and it was packed full with erasers and office supplies. Things that should have been in the supply room. Elmer said they were all in need of erasers and things but there were none left in the supply room as McKim had everything locked in his desk. They took everything out of his desk and expected him to blowup about it when he came back but he passed it off with some excuse I don't remember what. Elmer doesn't like him at all.
Friday I am going to play bridge next door. I have the nicest neighbor but don't see her much as I'm too busy but she runs over off and on.
Sunday evening Elmer played tennis so I walked up to the swings with Jimmie and Mary. It suddenly started to pour. Jimmie started crying and wanted me to carry him but I couldn't as I had Mary. We were hurrying so fast Jimmie fell down all the time. Edith, my neighbor, had seen us go up there so ran out to meet us and carried Jimmie home. We were all soaked.
Next Monday night I think we will go into Knoxville and buy Jimmie some shoes and I want to get some material and make drapes for my closets. They have them for sale at the department store on the Area but the prices are from 16 to 20 dollars.
Have you heard any more from Jim? I wonder if he has been sent on into China yet.
Elmer just came home and brought me a letter from you. You sure have been kept busy.
Mildred Culley's address is -
Mrs. Earl Culley
809 Ford
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Tell me about the canning stamps. You sounded like I could get more so if another stamp is good let me know and I'll apply for it. I'll send it all to you as I won't need it. There are those others I had. I don't need them either. I can get Mary's ration book now as her birth certificate came yesterday. Mother I guess I've become awfully slack because I hadn't sent that letter of Jim's on to Gladys. However I got it out as soon as I read about it and will send it to her and she can get it back to you.
You can send my mail to 382 Robertsville Road now as the mail delivery started today. Yes I got the first check Jim sent me. It was for 25 dollars. Has he mentioned hearing from me?
Well Folks it is after eleven so will stop for now but more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading