Tuesday, November 25, 2008

25 7/26/1944 Jim Erwin to Helen Carlson

Jim Erwin
497th Service Sqdn. 44th Service Group, APO 9898, NY
Wednesday, July 26, 1944
Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee

Dear Helen,
Have received two nice letters from you recently and was glad to hear from you. In Mother's letters written from there, she put her Washington return address so I couldn't write to you until I received it.
We have been working hard and haven't had much time to write. We start working at six in the evening and usually work until breakfast. There is plenty of sheet metal work. We work longer than anyone else. Day before yesterday, Cliff and I didn't finish until 8 a.m. That's fourteen hours. Would of had to again last night but some fellows relieved us.
You certainly got out of the hospital in a hurry. Glad you didn't have much trouble. Having a boy and a girl makes a nice family. Jimmie will get use to having her around. He will be left out a little for awhile now.
Mother said she had a nice time being with you and was glad she made the trip. Imagine she is happy to be home again though.
It's nice to have a place to stay in while on this new job. The company made good plans. Wearing badges and having your car searched before going home sounds funny though. They are just being plenty careful. What sort of work is it? Is it that secret project Elmer was talking about?
Glad you received the picture and the check. I knew you wouldn't want me to send any more but I'm going to anyway. Hope to be able to send you something besides too. Glad wants me to buy some things instead of sending her the twenty dollars I owe her. I haven't been to the town that is about 35 miles away. Don't know when I'll get in either. Prices are darn high on everything a soldier would want to buy and know she will be disappointed by what she gets.
I wrote three letters home before writing to Shirlee and don't see how she got hers the same time my letters reached Dad. Our mail was all mixed up at first and is the only way it could of happened. I receive letters from the folks the same day and are mailed two weeks apart.
Too bad the Deans and the Davies are living so close to you. Maybe they won't bother you.
Wonder how Howard likes the Army. He was certain they wouldn't take him. Don't doubt that Mother didn't like Francis. Is she still living on 5th?
It rained hard early this morning and is awful hot now. We just sweat all the time. We work besides lights at night and the bugs are thick. They hit your sweaty face and arms and just stick to you. It's fun to work in the rain to keep cool.
Take good care of yourself and don't work too hard. If you can get them, I could use some handkerchiefs.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading