Wednesday, October 29, 2008

361 11/29/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, November 29, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My Dear Girls,
A nice letter came from you girls today and we were very glad to hear from you.
Our weather is back to normal. A little rain, a little sunshine and much warmer.
I got through with my committee meeting alright yesterday. Wasn’t half bad. Tomorrow is Garden Club. Mrs. Frank Inglis is having the returning officers and the new ones for lunch. From there we will go to our meeting. I am to pick up Mrs. Giertson at 12:15. I like Mrs. Inglis and am sure we will have an enjoyable time at her house.
Mrs. Swain came down this afternoon. I had just gotten home from Stella’s. Stella went to the dentist this morning. She is through now until after Christmas. He put in a temporary filling until then. Is trying to save a tooth that is pretty far gone.
We are so glad the Black Hawks won Sunday night. Cully will be back in Chicago tonight. I think it is fine you are to have a new coat, Gladys. But why didn’t you wait for Cully to go shopping with you before looking at coats? It is grand of him to be willing to get it so give him the pleasure of helping you pick it out. When you wrote of getting a cloth coat Stella wondered if she should send your muskrat coat back to you.
The Boy Scouts are putting on a play. Jimmie is in it and has to go to practice every evening. It is to be given next week Thursday evening. Miss McGinnis is helping the boys with it.
Tonight’s paper tells of a plane that left here for Oakland and had fallen into the ocean. Two saved and five persons missing. It must have been the plane that left Seattle this morning.
Gladys, I am returning the letter you wrote Viola in 1922. It was a nice letter for a little girl to write. In counting the houses on our road you must have meant Nils; that would make five. I see the poor old fellow once in a while. He lost everything he owned out in the country.
Vivian Fields was at Church Sunday. She is looking forward to seeing you in the spring, Gladys.
It would be swell, Helen, if I could go back there by train and drive west with Cully and Gladys. But just don’t know whether it will be possible or not. Thanks anyway for your kindly offer to help with the trip. I have gotten myself into so many things right now I can’t take time off long enough to wash. Tomorrow will clean up some of the duties then I hope to catch up on some home duties. At least my house is cleaned for a while.
Your letters sound as though you are having a swell time, Gladys. It is nice you like the ___. The time will go fast for you when you are kept so busy. It is nice the girls like to play cards. If you keep on you will become a coffee drinker as much as your mother.
Stella wants to drive into Tacoma one day next week. I’ll look around for a brush with a handle. It does not seem like Christmas time with everything green and rain falling. They have started decorating our streets.
Stella told me she and Harold just wanted things for Christmas that they could use. Harold needs socks, handkerchiefs, shirts, pajamas, in fact – most everything. Pop is in the same boat. Jimmie is all for skiing togs. He wants shirts and trousers. He takes a 32 for his good trousers but don’t know but what he should have larger ones for skiing. But whatever you buy, please do not spend so very much. We would ever so much rather have you save for your trip west. This goes for you both and Cully, you know.
Most of Jimmie’s things are red. You asked what color he liked, Gladys.
Tonight I have found a way I can use the carbon in writing on both sides of the sheet. Writing only on one side took too much paper and made my letters too heavy to write as much as I wanted to.
I enjoy reading everything you write about – visiting the parks, the ___ Art Museum, shopping, flower shows and even making lemonade for Cully although I do not mention it each time. We like to know what you girls are doing to fill in your time and keep you happy. We think it is so nice Helen likes her school work. Some day I hope you all come out here to live. Tell Elmer, Helen, one can even have skating out here some years and some places. A few weeks ago they were skating on Tipso before the heavy snow came. They say the skiing was perfect Sunday. It is real early for good skiing. This is the earliest in a number of years. You folks will get in some skiing if you come out soon after the hockey season is over even if Cully should be in the playoff, and we hope he is. We are pulling for them to win the Stanley Cup again.
I am sure now, Helen, I know about where you live. It will be nice out there when spring comes and is even nice in the winter if it does not get too stormy. Yes, we remember where Mabel and Charlie used to live. Does Dorothy Johnson still have her beauty shop out that way?
We are glad you girls had such a nice Thanksgiving. You both know by now that we got the two messages, from Helen and Cully. 26 cents was not much for the one coming from Minneapolis and it was so nice to get it.
I still have your last letters to answer but will leave them tonight. Will try to write tomorrow night. Jimmie should be coming soon. I want to iron a shirt for him tonight before going to bed. He plans to go skiing again Sunday.
With much love to you all. Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading