Monday, November 17, 2008

581 5/5/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Friday, May 05, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just finished the dishes so will write to you now. The box of clothing came today and thanks so much for sending all that stuff. I’m going to get my dresses all fixed up and pressed and put in the closet ready to wear, if I can still get into them. I’m glad for that big box too because I’ll be wanting to send Glad’s maternity dresses and coat back.
Elmer won’t be leaving Monday but real soon. The longer he can stay here the less time I’ll have to be alone. The practical nurse I talked to about a month ago came to see me today to see if I still wanted her. I told her you were planning on coming down but she said if anything happened you couldn’t she would come. I sure hope you can come though Mom. I sent your watch and glass case to you today and hope it will get there right away. I should have sent the watch sooner but the time just seemed to sneak up on me. I finally got my watch today. It cost six dollars but he said it should have been 7.50 but since I had been so patient about waiting for it he didn’t charge me the full price. The old bum, I’ll never take anything else to him.
We have our first thousand dollars in the bank now so feel pretty good about that as we have tried a long time for it but moving around all the time takes a lot.
Mom I can use a dozen of those diapers as I just have 2 ½ dozen. I have three bunches of disposable ones for traveling but after figuring it up it would be pretty expensive using them all the time like I had thought I would.
Mom, I think the train you will come on will be the same one I was on after Kansas City. If so you will go to Shreveport and then ride all afternoon and evening to DeQuincy which is about 20 or 30 miles from here. A bus is there waiting to take the passengers on to Lake Charles, but I will be there in DeQuincy to meet you instead. The only reason I wouldn’t be there is if I should be in the hospital but I certainly shouldn’t be. Try to get reservations before getting to Minneapolis, either tourist or Pullman. It will be Pullman after Kansas City. Please try to get them won’t you? If you want me to send any money before seeing you be sure and tell me.
Are you feeling pretty good now Pop. I certainly hope so. I wish you could come too. Will stop for now but more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading