Thursday, December 4, 2008

220 6/3/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, June 03, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I feel just terrible that I haven't been getting any letters written but ever since Davy passed away I just haven't gotten back into the regular routine. I sure miss the little thing and certainly wish he would be moving out to Washington with us. Our house is up for sale and I hope it will be sold soon. Elmer and Stella and Sandy had planned to leave Tuesday morning but Stella had a wire from Harold this morning saying he would arrive by plane tomorrow afternoon so now they may wait over a day or so. Elmer is supposed to be on the job June 11th, a week from Monday. He is anxious to start his job and it is strange the way it came through at exactly the right time. After I sell the house I'll buy a better car and then drive out with Jimmy and Mary. I sold my gas stove and the piano to Warnie and Jan. I think I will move the refrigerator and the beds out by freight and I don't know yet how many other things. Last night we had a farewell party for Elmer. The Fernstroms, Martins and Corls and Nellie and Pearce were over. We wanted it at our house to wind up the last of our parties here. We are leaving lots of good old friends but we will make new friends out there I am sure. I've waited eleven years for this to happen and am awfully glad we are finally going to live out there but of course losing Davy takes the thrill out of everything. It has been just wonderful having Stella and Sandy here. Stella certainly hasn't had much of a social whirl but she says she doesn't care. She has seen her club girls and we have done a few things. Grace Auld spent last Tuesday with us. She was staying with a friend of hers out at Lake Minnetonka. We were very disappointed in her but will tell you all about that when we see you.
This week has been rainy and miserable. I hope it clears up tomorrow. Mary and Jimmy have been in bed with the chicken pox all week. Jimmy came down with them the day Grace Auld was here and Mary broke out the next day. They were pretty sick with upset stomachs and fevers but today they feel much better. You know I thought Mary and Davy had the chicken pox a while back but now I see they both had the hard measles instead. Now I hope everything will go along smoother and we'll get the house sold and get started for our new home. Thanks for the checks you sent. Tell Gladys I also received hers. I'll get more letters written after Elmer leaves. Frances and Frank Woodfill came over Thursday night to see Stella. The Woodfill bunch sent ten dollars enclosed in their card they sent after Davy passed away since we had requested no flowers. Now every day I get all these ads in the mail about monument markers. Right after he died they even started calling on the telephone about tombstones.
Tomorrow night we are invited over to Elmer's folk's for dinner. Bob, Elmer's brother, is leaving town too. They are moving to Duluth so won't be so far away. I suppose Glad and Cully are in their new home. Gladys will love it I know and her housework will be much easier. Saturday was Elmer's last day at work so he will be home tomorrow to help do things and I'll get his suitcases packed. I have to get Mary to bed now so will stop but I'll write more real soon and we're thinking about you all the time even though the letter writing has been bad. I know your telephone bill was just terrible. Mine was bad and I know yours was much worse. I'll even things up one of these days. I hope you are all fine and I'll write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading