Tuesday, December 2, 2008

215 3/27/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, March 27, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:

I didn't get a letter written to you all last week so am going to write now and will mail it when I go out after milk after while. I sure have been busy since the boys have been here. There is quite a bit of extra work, such as more dishes and more cooking, etc. but the boys certainly are nice kids. Tomorrow night will be starting their third week here. I think by the following week Jan will be thinking of coming back. We are getting along fine with the boys and they seem to like it here very much and certainly feel right at home by now. They like to tussle and wrestle a lot so I have to kick them out of the living room when they start it but by treating them just like I would my own it is easier. We had a letter from Jan last week and she is having a wonderful time. Warnie hasn't called to ask about the boys at all. We were going to have him over for dinner last night but couldn't get a hold of him.
I had Eden and Wally and their girls over, though, and had a baked ham dinner. It turned out just wonderful and everyone ate a lot. I basted the ham the whole time in wine and brown sugar and browned the potatoes with the ham and it certainly gave it a good flavor. Later in the evening I had Mabel and Charlie Bray and Doris and George Ducret over. We played cards. Mrs. Pope has practically kicked Eden and Wally out. At least she wants their room so has had them move up into the attic. They bought a real, real old house in Anoka for 5 thousand dollars and only had to pay 500 dollars down. It is a farm house on the outskirts and has a big red dilapidated barn, but Mr. Haemig is a painter and carpenter so he plans to go out there every Saturday and do a lot in fixing the place up. There are no cupboards in the kitchen at all so they will have a lot to do but at least they will have something to work on. They can have it about the first of June.

We have been having terrible weather. All last week it was windy and cold and last night it snowed so hard, the biggest flakes, but it is thawing again today so it is all gone by now thank goodness.

This Dorothy Habata who's husband is a Jap thinks that since all of us girls met her husband at the bridge party that night that now none of us like her. He is terribly conscious of the fact that he is part Jap, I guess, because there have so many cracks made about it. Anyway he is a very nice fellow so I have invited them over for bridge two weeks from now, also two other couples.

I have one block in the neighborhood to collect for Red Cross and it is supposed to be turned in tomorrow night. I hadn't even started the rounds so Elmer has gone out now to take one side of the road and tomorrow I just have to get out and collect from the other side. I sure hope Elmer gets everyone on his side. How is Gladys getting along. Is she home yet. I hope she will write as soon as she can and tell me how everything is. Everyone asks about her. If she was disappointed about having another girl I hope she is over it by now.

I have to go out and buy extra milk and then get some supper. I think we will just have waffles tonight. The boys have gone over to a friend's house but will be back about six. Goodbye for now Folks, and I'll write again this week.

With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading