Sunday, November 23, 2008

169 6/18/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, June 18, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee

Dear Sadie:
Received your Thursday letter Saturday evening, very glad to learn that you got through so nicely and that Elmer was there to meet you. Elmer must be working at a very important place when you all have to get passes. You can tell me about it when you get home. Think it would be well for you to leave a little early if you can. I saw an article in the paper the other day, that the government had notified the railroads that they would take all passenger trains for troop movement if necessary.
Well I just got back from the Benson's. We had a swell fried chicken dinner topped off with strawberry shortcake. Stella gave me a Father's Day card and when I got home and opened it there was three dollars in it. Yesterday I got a letter from Gladys with $2.00 for Father's Day.
I think I should look into this Auburn job. They need men, Dennis Johnson quit the shipyard last week and went to Auburn. Mrs. Hall told Stella that Dennis was making over $100.00 a week. They put in overtime and would like to have the men work seven days a week. Our lead man Dan told the Foreman where to put his job so he is quitting. He will be down tomorrow to check out. Things may be rather mixed up and the last few days I have felt that I was working somewhere else. We will wait and see how things work out.
I read the lesson this morning, shaved and bathed and read the paper and went to church. And clipped the hedge on the North, clipped the top and sides in two hours ...

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading