Tuesday, November 25, 2008

43 10/6/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Friday, October 06, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Friday Afternoon
Dear Folks,
I certainly have fallen down on the letter writing but it seems like I have been so busy the last week. I have had Jeanne's children several times and she has helped me out so much too. We haven't had a car for about two weeks so Jeanne takes me shopping all the time. I realize now how hard it is for Betty Davy without a car and having to carry a baby around. But then if she only acted a little more appreciative and didn't put a person out so much it wouldn't be so bad helping her out. Edith Smythe is a wonderful neighbor. She goes shopping for me and lots of times comes over and takes care of Mary while I go. She said I act like she is doing me such a big favor and I told her she was, but she said it was nice to be able to help out friends.
We have morning coffee over here every day around eleven. Sometimes we have tea to drink instead. She comes over lots of times with two tea bags and a package of rolls.
She is the type one doesn't get tired of from seeing so often and I hope she feels the same about me. As often as she comes over she has never come in without knocking. I believe the people who wear well are the ones who don't act too free in someone else's home or who don't pry into your business. Edith had a bridge party last Friday so Jeanne came over here and stayed with Jimmie and Mary. I hated to ask her since I couldn't bring the kids up there being without a car but she said she would be glad to come down here. I had them stay for dinner that night. That was last Tuesday instead of Friday. Then Wednesday I had Jeanne's children because she had to go and have her 6 weeks checkup. Then she had us up there for supper and Maurice brought us home later. Thursday night Elmer went shopping with them after work and they got back about seven so I fixed some beans and sandwiches for us all so I have been busy.
Mary is on the floor and Jimmie is down there playing with her. She is laughing and squealing. When Jimmie and Doug are playing in the playroom I put Mary in there if she is awake and she loves to watch them. She sleeps every morning from 9:30 to 1:30 straight through. Sometimes I even have to wake her up. When she does wake up she doesn't cry but just starts talking. She loves to eat. She is so good I can't get over it. In the afternoons she has another nap and then goes to bed for the night at 5:30 or 6. She has put herself on such a perfect schedule that when she begins to fuss I know that she wants to be put in her bed and then she puts four fingers in her mouth and goes to sleep.
Mrs. Brown came over yesterday afternoon. She asked about you, Mom. She doesn't live so far from us so I hope to see her quite often.
We have people in the other half of our house now. All the houses are filling up fast as the operators are coming in now. The couple in with us doesn’t have children I don't think. I hope our noise won't bother them too much, but the walls are like paper. I don't believe they have started sleeping there yet but have heard them over there cleaning. I wonder how they will like my clothes line. I'm not going to move it out in front of the house though because it would be too unhandy.
9:30 P.M.
Mom, your present is finally on the way. I had an awful time getting it mailed without the car so finally had Elmer mail it at work. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. The days are still nice, and today it was quite hot in the sun but it's like Washington, as soon as the sun goes down it cools off.
Saturday night Smyths are coming over here for bridge. Edith wanted us to come over there but since I still haven't found a nurse girl they are coming over here. Edith is going to bring her lunch she has planned over here.
I wrote to Walgreens Drug Store in Knoxville asking them about my films and have never heard anything from them so am going to write again tonight.
Jimmie fell asleep tonight while he was eating his supper so I put him to bed and it seems funny around here with no noise.
That dress you bought me, Mom, is still a favorite of mine. I get so much wear out of it and it washes so nicely. We eat the jam at every meal and it is wonderful. The pillow you fixed for me still looks nice.
I heard that telephones are available now so am going to find out about it. I don't have much use for one but we need one every once in awhile to call for kindling or something.
Well folks I guess I will try to get some more letters written and I'll write more to you later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading