Monday, October 27, 2008

321 5/26/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, May 26, 1938
Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.

My dear Helen: We had a letter from you today and one from Uncle Perry. He wants us to be sure to visit them this summer. Said he thought Gladys and Carl were fine folks.
Papa will have one week vacation starting July 10th. If you are here we will take you to Oregon at that time if Stella is over her party so we will feel like leaving her. If not we can make the trip a little later.
Papa says do not buy him a Father’s Day gift, but save that money for the trip to Oregon. However, I’ll tell you the size shirt and trousers he wears. I usually have to shorten his trousers which is not hard work. He wears trousers, waist 40 – length 29. The ones you girls sent last June he likes very much. Wore them to church Wednesday night. We have been having summer weather ever since Cully and Gladys left. Papa’s shirts are 15 ½ neck and he takes a short sleeve.
Stella is giving a surprise shower for Thelma tomorrow so I have been trying to get her kitchen curtains made for her. I’ll have to finish them in the morning. I wanted to get an early start on them this morning. Then, before 10, the Horans from Everett came and left right after lunch. Was awfully glad to see them but did not get the curtains done as I had planned to. They were on their way to Westport, at the ocean, for a few days. Now papa wants to go down there. We have not been to that beach since we came back west.
I came down from the hills yesterday. Went to the Garden Club yesterday afternoon. We had a nice time. After the meeting Mrs. Swain and I went shopping and them over to Stella’s to see some of her shower gifts.
Please do not forget to send me back Gladys’s letter.
I hope there is no danger of you liking Bill. I think Elmer is twice the fellow he is. And please do not let him have any money. He may not ask you for any but he used to ask Glad for it. She let him use her tennis racket and holder and asked him for it when he went east, but never got it. He may be alright but I have never thought him to be much of a fellow. It is too bad he always has to be along with Elmer.
Suppose the kids will be in Minneapolis nearly as soon as this letter is. Can’t yet realize Gladys has left here to return to Minneapolis. I am glad Mrs. Dahlstrom likes her. Of course, we want her to be very happy.
Did you have a nice time on the weenie roast at Peaches’s place at the lake?
Jimmie lost weight after he started to play tennis this spring time. He would go without his lunch so to get on the courts, then play until dinner time at night. Half of the time he would be much too tired to eat when he did get home. After he started to lose any amount he cut out his night lunches which helped some more. He really looks good now.
I do not know about Gladys but Stella and I received the baby pictures you sent. Many thanks for them. I am sorry I neglected to mention getting mine but for weeks I haven’t known whether I was going or coming. The picture is darling and I’ll frame it when I can get into town and get one of those frames you mentioned.
The kids are certainly having a grand trip. Do hope they have not found it too hot through the South though. We are so in hopes they will make their home in the West some day. I can not think of anything nicer than to have my children all near enough so we could see you often.
My rose bush at the corner of the house has a mass of bloom. Such a beautiful dark shade of red. I have some pink roses too but like the red ones best.
Will leave this space for papa to write a few lines in the morning. He is asleep now.
Much love, Mother
7:45 am May 27th
Good morning Helen. Mother left quite a bit of space on this sheet so I will fill it up. Cully and Gladys left here the 14th, we have had fine weather ever since then. They may be in Minneapolis now but I don’t think so.
Jim was out to Wilderness the other day and had a very good time. I will have to work tonight and double holiday this weekend, we expect to go up in the hills. I will write more some other day.
Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading