Wednesday, December 3, 2008

238 6/6/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Monday, June 06, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer just left for work and the children are still sleeping so I'll start a letter to you.
I haven't heard from Mrs. Martel but if I can possibly get out of here in time tomorrow morning I will try to meet her plane. Jimmy's school bus doesn't come until nine but if I could be all ready to leave then I could probably make the airport in time.
Last Saturday Doris and Louie Ducret came over to spend the day as George was in South Dakota on a job. Sunday we went on a picnic with the Corls and Martins and all the children. Sunday night Doris Ducret called and her dad had died. She didn't see how she could leave until Tuesday as the banks were closed being Memorial weekend so we got a check cashed for her and George flew back from South Dakota and we saw them off at the airport Monday. Doris's home is in New Hampshire. The 16 year-old boy, Bob, had to stay here as he is a Junior in high school and he has to finish but now there are only two weeks left and he will leave for New Hampshire after that. I'm trying to look after Bob while she is gone. I'll do his washing, which isn't much, and see that he gets along O.K. Doris doesn't plan to come back until Fall.
I talked to Mrs. Dahlstrom Saturday and they plan to arrive out there by the 15th of August. It will be too bad if Gladys has to let Mrs. Thomas go then. Can't she manage to keep her. I should think she could sleep in Ruthie's room but I suppose Gene will have to move in there.
Dahlstroms love the trip so much I'm glad they can make it, and Gladys is lucky that she only has to see her mother-in-law one month out of the year.
I sure have a lot of sewing to do before I leave. I have to make myself a couple of dresses and some night gowns for Mary, at least. When I have to start paying for Mary on the train then I can go by plane just as cheaply as three days a week they have rates on - which is with one full ticket everyone else in the family can ride for half price. You know I haven't been out there in the summer time for a long, long time. Two years ago we had summer weather when I was there but it was still a little early.
11:30
I had to stop to get Jimmy up and off to school so then I hurried up and did what work I had to do. Now I'm going over to Sears and see if I can get some upholstery material for the doors of our car. Then I want to try and get it on today.
School lets out this Thursday or Friday. Tomorrow Jimmy's room goes on their school picnic over at Como Park.
Selma has invited us up to their cottage this weekend but I wouldn't think of going. She wants us to drive her up Friday.
Eden and Wally moved to Anoka last week.
Well Folks, I had better stop and fix some lunch and then Mary and I will drive over to Sears.
Love, Helen
Wed. Morn.
Dear Folks - you probably think I have forgotten all about you. I carried this letter around in my purse all day yesterday and re-opened it now to tell you about seeing Mrs. Martel. I took Jimmy to school a few minutes early yesterday morning and then Mary and I hurried out to the airport and got there in plenty of time to meet the ten o'clock plane. We met Mrs. Martel and she was surprised to see us and very pleased I think. We got in the car and we decided to come over to my place for lunch. I drove home thru the downtown section so she could see something of it and then out to my place. We had lunch and she saw the house and it was after twelve o'clock when we left here. Then we went for a ride around the lakes and drove out Minnehaha Parkway and stopped at the Falls and had some pop. There was just a little water going over the Falls. By then it was 1:30 so I started getting fidgety because I don't trust my old [car] too much. We drove out to the airport and got there a little before two but she had to get her ticket fixed up as she had to change airlines and she had to get her suitcase from the baggage department so we weren't there much too early. It was a lovely day here and Mrs. Martel thought Minneapolis was a beautiful city. The trees form an archway along all the streets so it really does look pretty. I was glad to have been able to see Mrs. Martel. I got news about all of you.
A few days ago I upholstered the inside of the car with dark blue leatherette and got new seat covers so the car looked pretty good. Elmer thought I did a wonderful job and I'm pleased with it too. The inside of the car was in shreds and the material I used cost 10 dollars and the job would have cost at least 50 dollars if I had had it done.
Mabel just called and wants me to come over this morning. I shouldn't go as I have so much work to do but will go anyway. Must get Jimmy up now and ready for school.
Goodbye for now.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading