Wednesday, November 26, 2008

63 2/24/1945 Robert A Carlson to Helen Carlson

Robert A Carlson
In Italy
Saturday, February 24, 1945
Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Dear Elmer and Helen,
Received a letter from each of you lately so will answer. That chess game would be OK but can you tell me how we could finish it in less than 5 years? Right now we're in a building and are set up pretty nice but when we're in tents we don't play chess very often. I'll take you in a game when I see you though. I also got that clipping about LeRoy and he went home on "Rotation" which is different from furlough as he won't return overseas before at least six months and probably not at all.
I sure feel sorry for the T-3 who works with you but I think you're wrong when you say he doesn't get paid. With allowances for his wife and kid and exclusive of what he may draw for his own board and room if he isn't living at a camp, I'll guarantee you he draws well over $150.00 a month. He can cry on the shoulders of the lawyers, engineers etc. over here who are privates without a chance for promotion - which is the result of being in a combat unit that is up to strength. Or the fellows in this outfit - one who is in this room - who have kids 2 1/2 years old that they have yet to lay eyes on. I wonder how many of us would have a wife and a kid or two if we had been in the states for the last 3 years. Well pardon me for letting off steam like that, but damn it - I feel better. I realize perfectly that if I were in his place I'd feel the same though cause that's human nature.
Saw a show tonight - "One Body Too Many" with Jean Parker. It was fair. Yes, we've been watching the Russians pretty close and we're hoping Joe Stalin can give us what everyone wants. I believe I'll get that package before I leave for home though, as there is a little post-war problem over here called the Army of Occupation. So many fellows get letters from home saying they have a feeling that he will be home pretty soon and were just wondering who is spreading that blarney. Well, am about out of news so will close and hope to hear from you soon.
Say hello to everybody.
Bob
P.S. That isn't my girl friend in the picture, Helen, just a picture we took while near a town. We get all kinds of reading material but thanks anyway for your offer to send me books. Am enclosing a picture which I may have sent before. Found it in an old box here. Taken in North Africa. I was in shape then. Just got out of a rifle company and the Tunisian Campaign.
Bob

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading