Wednesday, November 12, 2008

529 1/23/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
2021-5th, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Sunday, January 23, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It’s another beautiful day out so I’m out on the porch and Jimmie is playing. Jim is still in bed but has to leave at 3:30 this afternoon as he has to be back in camp by midnight tonight. Friday I was sick in bed with a cold so Jimmie was a big help in taking care of little Jimmie. Saturday I felt fine and Saturday night Elmer and I went out to dinner with another couple and Jim stayed home with Jimmie and they got along fine. Jimmie really feels acquainted with Jim now and likes to play with him. Jim didn’t make any dates at all this time so I had him to myself. He slept a lot and took things easy. I took some pictures of him and will send you a copy.
Elmer had to work today and also drive so we are without a car. We hadn’t bought any bonds since we left Monroe so yesterday I bought a hundred dollar one and had it put in Jimmie’s name. I’m going to start buying a 25 dollar one every month now because we will be glad to have them later on.
Did I tell you about our dog. He evidently didn’t belong to anyone and followed us home from the store several days ago and has been here ever since. We fixed him up a bed in a box on the porch and feed him and Jimmie is crazy about him.
Frances’s boyfriend seems to have definitely jilted her so she has been home every night and was here last night to keep Jim company.
Francis Dew had a baby girl in December. Earl is still out of the army. Aunt Jeanette has been sick again so Dorothy said she has been kept pretty busy as nursemaid. Her husband is in England.
Jim had a letter from cousin Elizabeth and she said she had a perfect weekend in Chicago with Glad.
It’s almost noon so I better get Jim up so he can eat and think about getting ready. I washed out some underwear and sox for him this morning and they are practically dry already. More later.
Love, Helen
Hello folks,
Just got up and will have to leave soon. Have had a swell time. (Jim)

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading