Friday, November 28, 2008

100 5/27/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Tuesday, May 27, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Pop,
I certainly was surprised to hear Mother had gone to Ohio. I had a card mailed from St. Paul from her and I couldn't believe it. She had called me Saturday night but no one answered. We were all out except the children and Nellie's two girls were staying with them and they evidently all slept right through the telephone ringing.
I'm sorry Uncle Ben passed away as I thought he was getting along pretty good but I'm awfully excited about seeing Mother and I hope she won't be in too much of a hurry to leave. There is plenty of room here at Carlson's for her as the kids have a room and so do we so Elmer will sleep with Jimmy and Mother and I will sleep in my room. Mrs. Carlson is definitely off the beam and it is hard telling how she will act but I'm sure it won't bother Mother any and besides we will be so busy going places we won't be here much.
We are going down to Waseca while Mother is here. I wrote to Aunt Ruth today telling her we would be coming in a few days. I expect Mother any day because I don't think she will stay long in Ohio.
I bet you will have a busy weekend since it is Memorial Day. I'm glad you have such a good business but I sure wish you didn't have to work so hard and such long hours.
Our house is finally going up. The foundation was finished today and the carpenters are starting in June 1st and they expect it to go up quite fast.
Elmer likes his job because he is learning so much. He says it is just like going to school again. I still want to live out there though so can't get very interested in the new house. The weather is having a hard time warming up. There has been lots of rain and only about two fairly warm days since I have been back. It was cold today and is supposed to freeze tonight. The city is pretty now though because all the trees are green and you remember how they just form an arcade practically over all the streets.
Pop when you think of it find out the name of that woman who was visiting her sister in Enumclaw and lives in Minneapolis. It would be fun looking her up. We would have a lot to talk about.
Mrs. Dahlstrom called me yesterday. She said they were leaving here the 23rd of July for Glad's place. They plan to stay two weeks with the kids and Ralph is flying up from California to be there at the same time so Glad will certainly have a full house.
Mary and Jimmy are fine and seem to be gaining weight. I have gained ten pounds so I guess not having much housework to do agrees with me.
Well Pop I had better stop for now but will write again when Mother arrives. I hope you are getting along O.K. and tell Jim hello.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading