Saturday, October 25, 2008

315 2/26/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Friday, February 26, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
This isn’t such very fancy paper but I know you do not mind.
No letter again yesterday. We haven’t been so very good at writing either lately so we can’t scold you.
Last night I went to a show with Don. We went to the Uptown and saw, “After the Thin Man.” I thought it was swell. Afterwards we went downtown to a new Indian CafĂ© and ate and then home. Don is nice but I can’t like him. He wants me to go out again with him Sunday but Ad and I will be going to Princeton – we hope. The temperature was 11 above this morning with the promise that it would be getting warmer. It is warmer all right but is snowing. If it snows too much we won’t be able to go. Clara had hoped to go along but Powers are having a big sale tomorrow so she can’t get away. Even if we waited for her until closing she would feel too tired to go, so I guess we will leave as early as we can in the afternoon. There is a girl in our Auditing Dept. here at work that is also from Princeton. Ad knows her and went to school with her, we will take her along with us because otherwise she would be taking the bus home. Addie’s sister that lives in Princeton has had a new baby since she has seen her. We will see them too.
Tonight I will do a little cleaning so Helen won’t have it all to do over the weekend. We only clean good once a week and then just straighten things up the rest of the time. So far everything has stayed just swell. Neither one of us minds the cooking either. We both dig in and it just doesn’t take any time at all. We do the dishes the minute we are through eating and make the bed every single morning before we go to work. If we once started to let those things go it would be harder and it is always hard to come home from work and have to clean and make beds, besides taking care of the meal. We haven’t missed a day to carry our lunch and I have only taken the street car twice since we have lived in the apartment. The walk makes me feel wonderful. I don’t mind the cold one bit. Of course I dress warm and then I am getting used to it too.
I got paid today and paid up my Dayton bill again in full. This time I do not intend to charge one single thing. I hope I can keep my word. I think I told you that we pay only ½ of the rent at a time. That makes $15.00 each payday for one of us. The other girl puts in $15.00 for groceries, lights, phone and gas. It runs less than that though so we will be ahead of the game.
The Northern States Power Co. is still having troubles with the strikers. Many people were without light again last night and lots of them got pretty cold when their oil burners went out. Addie said it was turned off on them last night but is O.K. today. Ours is alright so far.
Is Stella still with the Insurance Company? Has she heard any more about the Creamery job? How is Pop getting along at Swains? And mother you haven’t told us what you found out about the dress shop – evidently you decided against it. Does Jim work on Saturdays yet at the cash store?
How is Jim coming with his piece for the declamatory contest? What is the name of it? It is nice he can take a few lessons from Mrs. Whitcomb. She is supposed to be very good and then he won’t have to worry about not getting the right expression.
Have you heard any more from Woodfills about going out there next summer? And how about the Bushes? We should call all those folks and visit with them more – also Mrs. Ellsworth and Auntie Rose. Have you heard anything at all from Mrs. Thurston? I’d like to get a hold of her too and will try to if I can.
Hope we get a letter tonight from you.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading