Sunday, November 30, 2008

124 10/7/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Tuesday, October 07, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I got back early on my lunch hour so will try to get a few lines written to you. I should type this as it would go faster but I get enough of that the rest of the day.
Cousin Agnes and Ruth stopped by to see me after church Sunday. Ruth and her husband were visiting Agnes for the weekend. Ruth's three boys stayed home with her husband's folks. They both looked just the same and are very nice. I hope to see them again before long.
I guess I will type after all as the time goes so fast that I will never finish a letter the other way.
I got your note about Ruth having her baby and was so glad to get the news. I hope she isn't disappointed about not getting her girl but I don't suppose she is. What are they going to name him, and how does Jim like his baby son. I sure would love to see him. I hope Ruth didn't have a very hard time of it. I remember how afraid she was and they say that's what makes it hard having a baby, is fear.
Thursday night Selma and I went over to St. Paul to see Belle. She looked very nice and we enjoyed the evening and Belle told me what she knew about all of you. Her friend Clara was with us and she seems very nice. It was too bad I had my job, otherwise I could have seen Belle during the day and driven her around.
A plasterer told Mr. Carlson if he could get the lathe, he would plaster the house for us. The lathe is what is holding all these new houses up. Anyway Mr. Carlson knows a man who has some lathe and he will let us have it. This lathe is expected in this week so as soon as it comes the plasterer will get busy on the house. If that gets done before long we will be in by Christmas. The plumbing is done now, except the finishing up work which can't be completed until after the plastering is done. It looks more encouraging now anyway. The brick is all on so looks pretty nice. I will take a picture of the house when it is finished.
Jimmy and Mary are getting along just fine with Florence and she doesn't talk about wanting to quit so maybe I can keep on working until the house is finished. I will miss coming down to the office when I have to quit.
We had to leave our car at the garage this morning because there was a short in the lights and they kept going out at night. I hope the car will be ready after work because I have to go over to Betty Martin's house for supper at 6:30. I don’t want to go at all, especially before the children are in bed, but she is here from California, visiting her folks, and will be going back next week so I thought I better go. Elmer will be home though with Jimmy and Mary so they won't mind my leaving so much. At night I have to stay right beside Mary until she goes to sleep because she is afraid I will leave her. She says she just wants to lie there and look at me so she does until she can't keep her eyes open any longer.
Jimmy is getting along fine in school. He says one kid wets his pants every day and the teacher gets awfully mad. I'm sure glad Jimmy doesn’t do that any more. It took him a long time though to get over it, especially wetting the bed at night.
Elmer's mother is feeling just fine because she feels important now since I am not there. She is real nice to me but she sure takes her meanness out on Mr. Carlson now. I bet he wishes I would quit work and seeing how she treats Mr. Carlson, I told Elmer if something happens I have to give up my job, I know for sure I won't go back to living there again. I'll go out to Washington first.
Well Folks, it is almost 1:30 so I better get some powder on and get back to work. I hope you are all fine and I am going to send the new baby a present real soon. Tell Ruth and Jim hello.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading