Monday, November 17, 2008

569 3/16/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, March 16, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Well, one thing is settled anyway. After all the fussing around and wondering if we would get into the playoffs the games tonight decided we will and Boston can’t put us out. Boston lost in Detroit (we lost in Montreal 4-3) – is 4 points behind us and have one game left. We have two more both with Detroit – there Saturday and here Sunday. If we win one more and Toronto loses their one game, they are only 1 point ahead of us, we would finish 3rd and in that case would play the Canadiens in the playoffs.
Was glad to get your letter today but so sorry to hear Speck has gone. I keep thinking about her and am so glad we had a chance to see her and show her a good time early this fall. I know Frank will miss her terribly but am glad Francis had already had her baby too. I will call both when in Minneapolis. It makes me realize that going into the army for Cully isn’t the worst. He doesn’t worry about it at all and I know I will get along fine. Getting into the playoffs will mean pretty good money for the boys too so I guess it will be worth waiting around for.
I was just thinking how fast we can sever connections. There really are not many old friends left around Minneapolis for you folks any more. We girls are away, Mrs. Woodfill, Ellsworths and the Bushes aren’t quite the same. I suppose Rose Winter is still around and I can’t even think of anyone else that would be close.
I have started to pack but can slow up now because we will be around for at least a week longer. Both series are 4 out of 7 games. They will play away March 21st and 23rd, home for Sunday and Tuesday the 26th and 28th, and away again if necessary so we will be here at least until April 1st.
Helen Johnson, Gladys Seibert and myself and all our kids were out for dinner last night – and away again today for lunch. I’m worn out and know it isn’t worth it to drag the family along.
Hope Jim goes to Frisco and also gets a chance to go home before being shipped out. Before you go down there you want to be sure you could see him. I will send him Wally’s address. He is in ___ now and not at Alcatraz anymore.
Plan to shop tomorrow so was glad to get your dress size.
Love, Gladys
I will write and let you know how Cully comes out with his physical. He expects to pass but all he hopes is he will have enough time to get west and spend a few days. I think his biggest concern is to finish the porch.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading