Wednesday, November 12, 2008

557 3/1/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Wednesday, March 01, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I’m sitting under the dryer and have a new permanent now. I had my hair cut too so it will be easy to take care of now.
I told you Ora Dell sent me my bassinette didn’t I and what good care she took of it. I’m sure they even repainted it. I was so pleased with it and then the next day after it came one of the Kellogg women asked to borrow it for her sister. I thought it was a lot of nerve when I’ll be needing it soon but let her have it for a while. I didn’t let her have the mattress though. Elmer was mad about my giving it to her.
I heard about an older woman who takes care of children so got her to stay with Jimmie this morning. She doesn’t live far from us so I hope to get out once in awhile now, at least to the beauty shop. Elmer works seven days a week now so is too tired to go out at night. It makes the check nice though. Last week after all deductions were taken out he made 120 dollars. We still don’t seem to be able to save much though as it costs so much to live and we don’t waste it because practically none goes out for entertainment. We’ve only been to the show about three times.
I had a nice letter from Jim today and he expects to leave in about a month. I suppose for overseas.
I had a card from a woman the other day saying she had found our gasoline book. She said she was turning it into the ration board but so far it hasn’t arrived so I’m going to write and ask her about it. I can’t go to see her because her address is general delivery. Today I was real low on gas but had a truck coupon Jim had given me, good for five gallons and the service station man let me use it. It pays to trade at the same place all the time.
We had the brakes adjusted the other day at a garage and the man brought the car back about 10:30 that night and charged ten dollars. Elmer said for that amount he wouldn’t even drive him home. This town is really awful but I guess it is the same all over.
More later folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading