Wednesday, December 3, 2008

239 6/16/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, June 16, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

[Happy Father's Day card enclosed]
Dear Pop,
Thanks for your nice letter you wrote the other day. You Folks are so busy all the time that I know you really must have enjoyed your trip down to the ocean.
Pop, I'm going to wait and see if I get out there before I buy you a Father's Day present. If I don't get to come I'll send you one and if I do get to come I'll get something you want out there. I'm having the darnd'st time with our finances. I planned to put away 50 dollars out of this last check and then our car insurance bill came which was 52 dollars and a bill I hadn't even counted on. Our total savings are just hanging on the 100 dollar line so I don't dare take anything out of that. So far it has been next to impossible to save money because we have needed so awfully much for the house and the yard. I haven't given up planning on coming yet, though, even though I should.
It is a dry hot windy day out today. Mabel Bray came over and had lunch with me and just left a few minutes ago.
I had to have the Animal Rescue League come after our dog today as he got cross at a little girl yesterday and almost bit her. He has always been so gentle that I can't understand what got into him. I'm glad to get rid of him, though, and Jimmy and Mary don't even know it and probably won't miss him for a long time.
If I do get out there I don't want you folks to feel like you have to entertain me because I love just being there. I hope I'll be able to help out with the housework at least and Jimmy is so big he could practically go to work for you in the store.
It's too bad Gladys has to let Mrs. Thomas go. It will be hard for her to manage without her.
I just warmed up the coffee and am going to have a cup, as hot as it is today, and then I'm going to do a little sewing before starting supper.
I hope you have a Happy Father's Day and if I were there on Father's Day I would bake you a ham and an apple pie. Goodbye for now Pop and I'm hoping to see you soon.
With Love, Helen
I had a card from Mrs. Martel and she is on her way back home now. She liked the plane ride better from here to St. Louis than from Seattle to Minneapolis. I think she was scared. She said God protects innocent children but she was no child.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Mary did notice and missed our first dog named Rolly.

Search Letters Here

Loading