Sunday, November 30, 2008

167 6/19/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Saturday, June 19, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Tonight we went out for our picnic supper. We went to a roadside picnic spot along the Belt line and fried hamburgers. You can't imagine who I saw there. In fact they just can't get over that I recognized them because it has been many, many years since we have seen each other. It was Mrs. Praull and she was with Joyce and her husband and two children. Mrs. Praull walked past our table and I was just sure it was she so then I looked to see who she was with and then I recognized Joyce so I went over there and asked them if that's who they were and I was right. Mrs. Praull wanted to guess who I was and she did guess that I was one of the Erwin girls. We had a very nice visit. Mrs. Praull has a rooming house down on 25th and Colfax. Her father is with her and helps her a lot. He had cancer of the bladder but the operation seemed to be a successful one and he is feeling fine. He is 86 now I think she said. She said Hazel isn't very well. Her feet and legs swell and I don't know what the trouble is called but she is bothered a lot with it. Hazel was back here just before Speck died but hasn't been back since but she said they had a wonderful time then anyway. She said just this last year Frank has begun feeling more like himself but it took him a long time to get over Speck. She didn't mention if he had any girl friend.
Tomorrow is Father's Day, Pop, and I will be thinking about you as usual. Then your anniversary is Tuesday. It will be the 38th one won't it.
Last night and this morning I worked on a little sundress for Mary. It is so cute and it only cost me 84 cents for the material. There is enough material left over so I am making her a little pair of pants out of it. When I get a sewing machine I don't think I will ever think of buying her a dress again as it is so much fun and so much cheaper to make them. I made the sundress by hand but it really didn't take me long, although if I had had a machine I think I could have cut it out and sewed it up in an hour.
Last night I had Wally Haemig and their oldest girl Joanny over for dinner. Eden has left Wally and he feels just terrible. She took the youngest little girl and went to friends in Milwaukee and said she would be back when he found a house for her. Wally said he doesn't know what he can buy because she wants a new house under ten thousand and it must have a dining room and a fireplace. That is impossible in the city because any new house that can be found for under ten thousand wouldn't have anything in it to speak of.
Tuesday I am having Mabel Bray, Clara Jenson, and Mrs. Dahlstrom over for lunch. Then Wednesday I'm going to the beach with Warnie Martin's wife and children and Thursday and Friday I am invited to bridge parties so I will have a busy week. After next week though I want to stay home more and do a lot of sewing.
Monday Night:
I didn't get this finished so will write some more now. Your nice letter came today and I am glad you are feeling better, Mother. I shouldn't have typed on both sides of that other sheet as it makes it too hard to read, but hope you can make it out.
I had Mary's picture taken last week by a man who came around taking the pictures in the house of preschool children. The proofs were just as natural as could be of her but I just couldn't afford to order any as they were too expensive for me so I ordered just the one big picture for us. That one costs six dollars without a frame. Anyway would you think I was crazy if I sent it to you to see and then asked you to send it back to me? I surely wanted to get at least one more so I could send one to you folks but we really are having to go awfully easy right now as we are trying to get a little bit ahead, as we went down to nothing when we built the house.
Your frozen food cabinet will be wonderful. I know those frozen foods are in big demand. It is too bad Bernice had to get the mumps. Does she feel very bad? I hope Sandy doesn't get them even if she does think it would be fun. I certainly hope you can get back here this fall Pop. I am so anxious for you to see the house, too. We would go up to see your Folks, or rather go down to see them and do just lots of things. I surely hope you do get to come here. Since I quit work I have gained almost ten pounds. I weigh 117 now, the most I have weighed since I had Jimmy I think.
I haven't seen Agnes since we were out there some time ago, when Verna was down. I want to have Agnes and her husband over soon though for Sunday dinner. I'll let you know all the news.
George is due back either Wednesday or Thursday. He will be awfully disappointed when I don't have any good news to give him about houses. I think he will probably quit his job.
I have a rhubarb pie in the oven for my luncheon tomorrow. I also made the hot dish tonight so I will just have to warm it tomorrow so all I will have to do in the morning is clean the house. It isn't very dirty but I couldn't do much to it today as we have been having rainy weather and with no grass yet a lot of mud gets tracked in so I didn't try to do much cleaning today. I just love these rainy days. This afternoon I baked cookies and worked on my picture album
Tuesday:
I certainly am writing this letter in sections. Anyway my luncheon is over. I just got home from taking Mrs. Dahlstrom and Mabel up to the car line. Clara had her car so didn't need a ride. While they were here a card came from Stella saying she thought they would be coming here next week. I am so excited about it and will be awfully disappointed if they don't get to come. I know we would have a wonderful time and I would just love to see them. Mary and Jimmy are as excited about the possibility as I am.
I had better stop now and get some potatoes on and I'll get this letter mailed now and I will write more later.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading