Thursday, November 6, 2008

464 3/1/1943 Helen Carlson to Jim Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, March 01, 1943
Jim Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Jim,
I just finished a letter to the folks and thought I better write to you while you are still a civilian because I suppose before long I will be writing to Private Jim. I know you will look swell in a uniform and maybe you will like the army life and if you only don’t have to get into the actual fighting it won’t be so bad. Bill Corl likes the army and everyone I know who is in it says the same thing. Elmer says what he hates to think about it is getting something monotonous to do and I always feel sorry for the soldiers who come to town here and have nothing to do but wander around but I’ve got lots of sugar so I’ll make things for you real often and write to you and send you some extra cash too. You’ll have so many letters to write in your time off that maybe you won’t have a chance to get very bored. It would be swell if you are sent someplace somewhere around here so I can come and see you. I hope you like hiking because I guess you go on plenty of hiking trips and Bill Corl said you have to carry heavy packs but you are in good condition so that probably won’t bother you any. Have you heard from Jack since he has been in the navy. Do you still wish you were going to be in the navy instead of the army. I’m glad it is the army because I would hate to think of you having to swim around in that ice cold ocean.
I had a letter from Elmer’s sister today and she said they had had a letter from Bob a few days ago and he said they had been kept awfully busy and I guess they have to by all the fighting that has been going on over in Africa.
I’m glad you had a good time in Salem with Shirley. There probably won’t be many boys left in college before long so there won’t be much competition going on.
Glad was lucky to get out there and see you before you had to leave. I surely did want to go with her but guess I’ll have to wait a little longer yet before I get out there. There is a job in Pasadena, California that I want Elmer to be sent to so bad but I don’t know if he will or not. The job hasn’t been started yet but is going to be soon. I would just as soon go to the job in Canada too because I don’t think it would be quite so far away as this place is.
Jimmie can almost walk but not quite. Every once in a while he forgets and stands up without hanging onto anything.
Well Jim since I just wrote to the folks there isn’t much left to write about but I hope everything goes along fine for you and I’ll be hoping you don’t get in but don’t get mad because you’ll probably make it o.k. Write when you can.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading