Sunday, November 30, 2008

140 1/24/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Saturday, January 24, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice birthday card and letter came today with the two dollars which was a very nice surprise. You shouldn't have sent me a thing but the money really came in handy. I am going to spend a dollar of it for a pair of stockings Monday. We really are running from payday to payday now that we are buying things for the house. After we once get the main things bought we shouldn't have to run quite so close. Thank you very, very much. I also had a birthday card and letter from Gladys today. That reminds me, just what trouble is it that Gladys is bothered with. In her letter she said she had had another attack and had been quite sick but was feeling o.k. again. I can't imagine what the matter is because she didn't mention anything about it when she was here.
We have been out to our new house most of the day. We are out here now and have a nice fire in the fireplace and the kids are playing with their train. I brought along my typewriter and have been typing some labels while Elmer is varnishing the bedroom floors. I want to write to both you and Glad this evening. We think we will move in next Saturday. We may not have a toilet by then but the pipe in the bathroom that connects to the toilet is real wide, so it will be easy to use a pot and then by emptying it down this pipe it will flush on through. I don't want to stay out any longer on account of the toilet because it may come any day and it might take weeks. Lots of people are building outhouses temporarily but it is against the restrictions in this neighborhood. We still have to get our stove connected in the kitchen and the kitchen linoleum down but we can get the men out this week for that.
Mother, in your last letter, telling about your new oil heater, you sounded especially happy and like you were feeling awfully good. Then in Glad's letter today she said she had talked to you and she said the same thing that you sounded so good and it made her feel wonderful.
Night before last the temperature went down to 20 below. I had to go down to the office that day but wore heavy pants and didn't have to wait for the bus so I didn't mind it so much. Gladys and you tell about the flowers blooming out there though and here it will be winter for a long time yet. I haven't minded it as much as I thought I would though and when I get moved over here I don't think I will mind anything for a long time. We have had lots of company today. Pierce has been over helping Elmer, and then Bob stopped by and later on Wally Haemig and Alvin Pope stopped in. They were out looking at houses. Alvin wants to marry this divorcée from Chicago as soon as he can find a house. She has a son nine or ten years old. I hope his marriage plans don't fall through this time. Popes also want to sell their house and get a small place so Eden and Wally just have to get out. Mother those dish towels you said you were going to send me will be just swell. I have to stock up on everything. I am anxious to get my Mount Rainier picture up and remember you sent me a picture of Mirror Lake and I have a perfect place for it.
I was shocked to hear about the Swain's little girl passing away. Was it due to the condition she has been in for the past years. I feel awfully sorry for Bernice. I wonder what kind of a fellow Cliff has turned out to be. Tell me more about it if you hear anything more.
Pop, your new teeth will be nice. Will you have to get used to them all over again. Gladys wrote and told me how Fanchon said Grandma's heart is strong and she will probably live for a long time. It is a shame in a way don't you think as long as she is in such a bad condition. Anyway it could be that she will get better.
Well Folks, I had better stop and get a letter written to Glad. This next week I am going to move everything over here I can and we will try to get in next weekend. More later folks and thanks for the two dollars. It looked as good as a hundred.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading