Saturday, November 1, 2008

426 2/10/1942 Jim Erwin to Helen Carlson

Jim Erwin
1709 A Street, Pullman, Washington
Tuesday, February 10, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

Dear Helen,
Tomorrow a new semester starts in again for another 4 months.
We aren’t going to have any vacations so school will be able to get out at the end of May and in the summer the kids can take a full semester’s work.
My grades didn’t turn out so hot so am not going to turn out for football and put the time on the books. It’s fun to be able to go into class and know your lesson. First half of the semester, during football, I worked and got my lessons every day and it was fun. After football was over and had gotten pretty good grades I felt it would be a cinch to get them the rest of the semester. I let down and wasn’t ever able to catch up. This semester I have a swell schedule and am sure I’ll enjoy my classes. Have made up my mind to keep up with all of them and not to skip any and sleep.
When I got back here Monday night, your package was here. It was swell. I just sit here and eat away.
Every time I think I’m hungry and will go and get something to eat I remember the candy and get it. It is real good but you shouldn’t send such heavy packages. It costs you too much. If you just write me letters it will be swell.
You must be in your new place by now. Bet it is nice and you will enjoy fixing it the way you like it. Do you get to see any big boats go by?
What are you going to name the little boy? Don’t think it is possible to get a boy in our family. Three cheers for the both of you if it is but I’d just soon bet it’s a girl.
This morning when I got up, the ground was covered with snow. Winter was supposed to have gone. It has all come back now. Sure wish it would go and stay for good.
Tonight I saw the Harlem Globe Trotters put on an exhibition basketball game. I have seen them before but they were better than ever this time.
My first class isn’t until 10:00 tomorrow. Only have two all day. Monday makes up for it though.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading