Sunday, November 23, 2008

601 5/28/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, May 28, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
Didn’t write for a couple of days because I was sure that I would get a letter Saturday, but it didn’t come so I will try and think of a few things to write anyway.
I was over to the Benson’s for supper last evening and then Harold and I played cribbage (4 games) and he won them all.
Yesterday started out nice and clear. The sun came up just as we were passing Slott’s. It stayed clear down at the yard but it rained some here then about 7 o’clock last evening a big storm came up from the southwest. A lot of lightening (no thunder), wind and rain. The lights were out twice for a short time.
Stella didn’t get over to do anything this week but the house don’t look bad. I dusted some this morning, washed the dishes, read the paper and the lesson, was going to mow the lawn and cut some but just didn’t feel like it. I was quite tired and thought I would just rest. Will try to cut some of the lawn one evening or two. I don’t have to do it all at once.
This morning started out like rain but turned out very nice, yesterday was very warm, the day before was cool and it is cool today. I have had some doors and windows open but have just started the heater again and had a fire in the cook stove nearly all day.
I have $13.00 left of the money you left with me, my week’s pay $53.97 and received the $10.00 bond money yesterday and found 15¢ on the shop floor. This week we will get time and half for Tuesday the 30th. I may cash the $10.00 check and put $50.00 in the bank because I should be getting $53.97 again next Friday.
I should fix up something to eat here but feel like doing something so may stop and eat when I mail this letter.
Still no word from Jim, it is going on six weeks now.
Swains have sold out to some man in Puyallup. He will take over June 1st. The Swains offered Carl and George a chance at it but it seems that everyone advised them to let it alone. I don’t suppose that we will see much more of the Swains.
I wonder how the Dahlstrom cabin is getting along and how they are coming at house hunting.
Harold took the present out to the Prests. Stella has a cold. Coughed a lot last night so we decided not to go. It would have been quite late for me.
Old George Kalin came to work Friday and worked Saturday also.
Last night was supposed to be the last night for the Sergeant truck. He was supposed to have 15 riders. I don’t see how they will get to work. All the rigs seem to be full now (they have been having a lot of tire trouble so he decided to quit).
Tommie and the wife and baby just got home from a walk. I see that the For Sale sign has been taken down.
We will have a lot of cherries, _____ and pears, so try and get rested up because you will have a lot of canning to do.
Well I hope that the new granddaughter and her mother are getting along fine and that Jimmie doesn’t miss his mother too much.
Well we should have a couple of letters from the south tomorrow. Love to All, Pop.
P.S. I am getting along fine but still need plenty of help from you.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading