Monday, October 27, 2008

340 9/15/1938 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thursday, September 15, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Gladys was over this evening before going to a shower on one of the girls she worked with at the office. She looked awfully nice and I was glad to see her. This Saturday after work we girls from work are going out to Gladys’ place. I’m going to stay all night and spend Sunday there and they will bring me home Sunday night.
I mentioned to Wally the other night that I thought I should move when they came back to the apartment but he said they wanted me to stay. I don’t think I will though because with the baby here and everything it would be awfully inconvenient for all of us. Gladys talked to Mabel Bray and Mabel said they would love to have me over there and I would have a nice big bedroom for myself.
Wally just came over a few minutes ago and has gone again. He came over to get last night’s paper. He went on an office party last night and is all in tonight. He said the baby was awake most of the night and when he got home Eden was so mad at him she made him stay up all night with the baby.
I’m glad you folks and Radcliff’s had such a nice time up at the cabin. I know how swell it must have been with the big moon. I’m glad you needed the stockings mother. I had a nice long letter from you folks today. Betty Martin is twenty five. She is about a month younger than Bill and is an awfully nice girl. She has always liked Bill and has known him practically all her life. Warnie is glad he is through with Myrt and he says he doesn’t even want to think of getting married.
Mother are you saving coupons for Jean Smith or does she send them to you. Mabel and Charlie live on 29th Avenue and 22nd St. They are right off from one car line and only a block from another car line so that would be nice. I’ll probably stick it out in Minneapolis this winter but I don’t want it to be for any longer. So far I can’t tell who Eden’s baby looks like. I hope she won’t have Eden’s nose. Eden shakes that tiny baby when she cries or gives it a spank. I think about all the loving Stella’s baby gets and I don’t see how a person can be like Eden. I’ve always told Selma that I didn’t think Eden was as crazy about children as she put on. I am keeping the flowers Mrs. Scott gave me. It certainly was nice of her. I’m so glad that Jimmie likes school and Mr. Askin. Gladys never liked him I remember. Marian has settled down a little but not so much. They have a boarder living with them and she still goes out with him whenever she gets a chance. Steve lost his job at the oil station so isn’t working. He is still living with Marian but says there isn’t anything else for him to do. I have forgotten what I paid for the reeds but they were just a little more than what you told me. Whenever Jimmie wants some more tell me and I will send them to him. Jimmie is certainly a busy boy now. Carey (Mabel Johnson’s sister you remember) lives on Bryant and 22nd so tomorrow might Selma and I are going to walk over there and Selma is going to have her fix the lining in her coat. Whenever I need anything fixed I am going to take it to Carrie too and she won’t charge much.
Elmer’s brother had an operation and didn’t feel so good for a couple of days afterwards but is O.K. now. I will never go to a doctor and when I move over to Mabel’s I will have a room so I am going to buy a set of books like yours mother and read some every night. During Elmer’s ride back to Cass Lake it just poured all the way. They were all soaked because they took turns sitting in the rumble seat. They didn’t get back until quarter to five. They could sleep all day though because it kept on raining and they couldn’t do any surveying.
I had such a nice letter form Grandma today. I told her in my letter how I flew out there. She said she wants to go out there and see you folks and she would even like to take the plane.
Friday Morning
Warnie called me last night when I got this far and wanted me to go out for a while so I did. I have to hurry to work now.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading