Sunday, November 30, 2008

152 3/23/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, March 23, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter with the lecture came last week. Thanks so much for the lecture. I think it is wonderful. I can't understand why the Enumclaw paper refuses to print them. They must be an awfully narrow-minded bunch.
Our weather has finally turned to spring and the snow is all gone, although more is predicted for Easter Sunday. The frost is out of the ground so we are supposed to get our yard graded within the next few days. Mr. C. plans to start his foundation any day. Nothing has been said by him about moving in with us but believe me I sure would pack up and leave if he did.
I'll have to change to the typewriter because after typing so much I can't write at all anymore.
Last Sunday we had to miss Sunday school because Mary had to have a bowel movement so bad she couldn't even walk and it wouldn't come out. She lay around all morning feeling bad and finally she got rid of it but by then it was way after eleven. The Sunday before that I drove Rose up to Lake and Hennepin after church and had a nice visit with her. I wanted her to come out to our house with me but she had so much to do she thought she should get home as soon as she ate. Gwen is still working and John is still home. Rose said that now his problem seemed to be physical but he was beginning to study his Science so they were encouraged about that. We hope to get together real soon and have a good talk. Rose looks real good. Her mother hasn't been out since Christmas but Rose said she talks about getting out when the weather is nicer.
Jim and Ruth had their anniversary this month. I thought of them too but am just terrible about getting cards or anything sent. In the first place I have been putting in seven hours of typing a day including what I do at nights. Elmer was getting mad about it because he said I never had time to even talk to him. My work piled up so high here at home too and this Monday I had a two week ironing to do yet so called the office and told them I didn't want any work this week. It sure seems swell without it and I am getting caught up around here and am able to go places in the afternoon. Yesterday Clara Jenson and I went down to the hospital to see Mabel. She had a big operation but is getting along fine. She had a tumor on her ovaries so they removed the ovaries. Today I went over to see Pat Hoover who lives across the street from the Carlsons so I went in and saw Mrs. Carlson. She was fine and was busy making fudge.
That is terrible about Fern losing her baby. This Lillian Wilde who lost her baby was the girl who was unmarried wasn't she. Poor thing, I certainly feel sorry for her.
Friday night Elmer and I went downtown to see a show at the World. They showed the pictures of the skiing up at Snoqualmie. The Kelex company that Elmer worked for in Oak Ridge is moving to a job in Richland, Washington at the atomic bomb plant. Fate seems to be against our getting out there. Just think if Elmer were still with Kelex he might have been transferred out there now.
Nellie and I went to our community meeting last night. It was in the basement of one of the homes here. It was a beautiful basement too. We voted on all kinds of things last night. For instance we voted on the name to be put on the sign they are going to put up. It is going to be just Minnekoda Oaks. Work on the playground is going to begin very soon. All the people at the meeting were very nice and I'm sure they will be very nice to know. Pretty soon we will be able to go to the meetings with Mr. And Mrs. Carlson.
I think it will be swell if you go to Portland too Pop. I hope Harold will be able to help at the store. Aunt Ruth said Carl and Hilda had moved to a different place. She said she had also written to you about Fanchon coming here to the hospital after Easter. I want Aunt Ruth to stay with me when she comes here to see Fanchon and wrote and invited her too but she plans to stay with this friend of hers in Minneapolis. Ruth could have our room upstairs as I have fixed it up quite livable. I am glad I have that room up there finished off enough to use. Elmer plans to get the railing up around the stairway soon so the kids can play up there.
Today I took Jimmy over to see his old kindergarten teacher as the St. Louis Park schools are closed for Easter vacation but the Minneapolis school just got off from striking so they don't get this week off. Anyway I think Jimmy was as glad to see her as he would be to see me. She gave him a grand welcome too and he was happy about the whole thing. He is getting so big and a real boy now. He has gotten over so many things I didn't like. Now the big thing is that he teases Mary so bad but I suppose all boys like to tease their sisters. It puts him in a spot too because he isn't allowed to hit so she will come up behind him and get his arms held back some way so that he can't get up and then she really lights into him. The fight a lot but then they have a lot of fun together too.
Bob and Dolores dropped around Saturday night, so then I called Eden and Wally and Selma and they came over too and we played cards.
The painting is coming along slowly. Elmer planned to get so much done this last weekend but then his father wanted him to draw the plans for his new house so he worked on it the whole weekend. He is working on it again tonight but hopes to get it finished now.
Mrs. Carlson's mother died last week. She was almost 96 years old and lived over at the Lutheran Old People's Home. There were five children in the family and Mrs. Carlson is the only surviving one now and she is the one who has had all the trouble.
Last Easter I was out there and we colored eggs over at Stella's. Jimmy was talking about it today and he mentioned how we hid Jim's colored egg up on the lights. That reminds me that our Jimmy wants to be called Jim from now on. He thinks "Jimmy" sounds like it should be for little kids.
I put some coffee on and it has boiled now so I had better pour it. It is getting late besides so I had better stop. I hope you are fine and have a nice Easter. I don't suppose you will close the store. Goodnight for now Folks,
With Love, Helen
I wanted to mention that Nellie, the sister-in-law I live next door to, is just a swell person. She is so good and has such a lousy husband and all she does is stay home and work but she never complains about a thing and she never gossips about anyone and is always telling me to go out during the day and she will take care of the kids. She just seems to want to do things for everyone. I hadn't planned to go to the meeting last night because I wanted to iron but she wanted to go so bad and hated to go alone so I went too and she enjoyed the evening so much that I was awfully glad I went with her and was glad too that I hadn't missed the meeting after all.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading