Wednesday, October 22, 2008

761 6/4/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, June 04, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
Here goes for another letter. I finished Gladys dress, coat and hat at 7 and she was on her way to school 7:10. I certainly worked hard today but feel well repaid, for Gladys looked lovely. Mrs. Van Patten saw her after she was dressed and said I could not have bought any ready-made half so pretty. Her dress and coat are yellow silk with white shoes and stockings. She wanted a hat, oh so badly, but I just felt I could not get it for her. At Christmas time Mrs. Zilliax gave her a white panama hat trimmed in green silk. The straw was good but soiled. Yesterday I took the old green silk off the hat. Mrs. Van gave me some cleaning fluid to clean the hat with. It came out fine, then I trimmed it with the yellow silk and Gladys had a lovely new hat tonight which did not cost a cent.
We left Jimmie with Dean and Aunt Mae. The girls and I went to the Class Day doings. Now, Helen knows she wants to graduate from High School. It was real nice and I am sorry you are not here to enjoy it all with us. We will never let you go away alone again. The banquet is tonight. So suppose she is having another grand time. At the Senior breakfast Mr. De Young told the class that Gladys was leaving here when school was out and expected to attend the U. of M. next year. Then she had to give a speech. From what she said, she got through with it fine. In the class will tonight, they said, “Gladys Erwin wills a road map to Canada, so others might find happiness.”
Your good letter of June 1st came today and was enjoyed as much as possible. You certainly had a lovely supper at Ellsworth’s and a pleasant evening. Maybe Mrs. E. feels our old house would not be good enough for us. Our St. Paul house was better you know. She does not know how we have lived out here. If we should go to Minneapolis I think I should like to live in S. E. Minneapolis near 5th church. Gladys could go to the U. and I could room a few students. I could get some very nice girl through the school.
George did not come up the Sunday Jack and Lilly took us to Greenwater or the Sunday Glen and Gerald came up the following Sunday.
I am sorry to hear about Frank K. forging a check. I felt all the time it must be something that forced him to leave. I feel sorry for Hazel and the children.
Gladys has been asked to spend tomorrow night at Smith’s. Mr. Smith is to be away and does not want to leave his wife alone. Of course they will pay Gladys.
Sam isn’t working at the store. Guess he helped out one day only. I don’t believe Ben would have him. He has heard too much against the old boy. People have come out and told him the business was better off without Sam there.
I certainly don’t care if my mail comes in bunches as long as I don’t have to wait many days in between.
Helen is going out in the country tomorrow night to stay with that little Anderson girl, Louie’s sister. Helen does not like being away all night. If she could find a good excuse she would not go.
Yes, I was broke when I paid the interest. But Walter paid the girls Saturday night so that saved the day again. Some time I hope I won’t have to take their money. Right now it is money for everything. School pictures, school fines, school picnics – always something. I can never see my way ahead but we just keep on going and manage some way. This morning I told you what I had paid. The following list is what I still owe to be paid some time this month. Gladys has 1.09 in the bank. At least a dozen times this past month we decided we would just have to draw it out but always something turned up before we got down to the bank. We always have a few cents down there to fall back on if we have to. Sure, pay Mrs. Truax the interest when due even if she has to wait for the rent, it’s the same only looks better on the back of the note. I did not mean she would ask you for the interest, I meant she would tell you or had told when it was due because you no doubt had already asked her about it. See? I usually think faster than I can write, then leave out part of my words.
Gladys isn’t quite as tall as I am but with her high heels she sometimes looks to be.
Gee I was going to give you that list of bills I owe, then forgot it. Well here goes,
Star .50
Water 1.25
Jensen 11.01
Swain 28.21
Washer 10.00
Picture 6.00
Forward 56.97
Bank interest 1.00
Garage 9.00
Milk 6.45
Rockdale 9.00
82.24
Then Truax 2.00
I will get 75.00 more this month from you. Cecil still owes me 3.00 for couch so I am hoping for a lot of job and that the garage man does not call for his rent. The Smith’s association is June 13th. They want us to take care of the children all that day. They leave here about 7 A.M. They are hoping very much that we decide to stay here.
Thanks for Mrs. Aneston’s address. Will try to drop her a line.
If a picture in the past made you shed tears or rather, almost, you certainly would have wept if you had been with me Sunday up above Fairfax. Smiths just talked and talked about going camping. Everything was so grand and they just wanted to come and stay over night. You know how it is, we always talk and feel that way. Then something would say to me, “So you are going away and leave all this.” The west has never looked so good as it has since I felt I was leaving it. But maybe it’s wrong to feel that maybe it is best for all to go away at least for a while. We will be shown clearly which is the best for us. I am sure of that.
Yes, our apple and pear trees are loaded too. It looks like a good fruit year.
No, Abe Knutsons did not get in here at the Creamery.
I am sorry you did not see the parade last week. You would have enjoyed it I know. Well, when I work for you again I will see that dinner is ready in time for you to go.
Leonard’s girl is doing well in business. I think we would too if we could get started without having too many other bills to pay.
Wednesday morning
It was midnight when Gladys came in so I stopped writing and listened to the evening’s happenings. She feels so glad that she was able to graduate from here. In years to come a homecoming at Enumclaw next time will mean more here, than it would if we had put her in a Minneapolis school for the last year. She feels satisfied and happy over all we have given her at this time.
I am supposed to be washing today. The weather does not look very good but the sky may clear by the time I have something to hang out. At least it is not raining.
I will take that back. I just went out after wood and it is sprinkling. I may have to change my mind about washing much today.
Mr. Kyle told Gladys he had sold his place here in our neighborhood to a garage man by the name of Lind. He has two boys about the age of the Kyle boys. This is certainly a boys neighborhood.
Well, Papa dear, I think in the next two weeks I will finish up my summer sewing and wash a little ___. Then by that time you may know what they intend to do for you. They may not want to say, though, until August and see how they come out on this year’s business.
I will leave you now and write again tonight.
With love from all, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading