Tuesday, October 21, 2008

750 1/30/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, January 30, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
Gladys and I went to church tonight. It is a terrible night out. A regular blizzard. A hard east wind and snow blowing and drifting everywhere. The drifts we plowed thru to get to church were filled up when we came home. We came home past Mr. Wood’s place. Could hardly face the storm from there to our alley. There were only a few out tonight.
The girls received 50¢ from Stoby’s last night. They have played hard all day in the snow. Made a big slide in the back yard and have had a lot of fun. It warmed up about noon, then began to drop again.
I went to Swain’s for butter today. Mr. Swain told Helen that they were not having butter day anymore.
We were glad to get your letter today written last Saturday. We seem to need your letters to keep us in good spirits. Some times I get awfully discouraged. When I keep close to my reading I feel better.
Woodfill’s certainly have you out there often. The children wonder if it was safe for you to take a ride with that man. We decided it was, for you were able to write us a letter afterwards.
I am sitting by the fire using Gladys’s pen. It is bum, very hard to write with. Helen wants a fountain pen very badly. Is saving her money for one. I told her I would have you price them there and you might be able to get her one when she had earned the money.
Hoey’s have not their car yet. They cannot agree on the kind to get. 3 against 1. Glenn wants an enclosed car. The others want a touring car.
Guess I told you how good I am at splitting chunks. We will get George at the wood again Saturday. He did not cut any last week and this cold weather has been eating it up in a hurry.
I am sure I will like the sunshine. You know what I think about the rain. Helen tells me every day how she wishes we could always have snow. She rolls around in it like Jim does.
Maybe it was just as well you did not go to Janesville as much as you would have liked to. You could not afford to miss any time at work and then the fare would have put you back some too. It was too bad you could not get flowers for the funeral.
I am anxious to hear about your visit with Stodeick’s.
I wrote Mrs. Kallgren the first year we came west. They never took the trouble to answer although we sent them Christmas greetings once or twice too. So do not think I would write them, even if I had the time, which I have not.
That store broken into near Woodfill’s is the one we wished we could buy. Well we will never know what is best for us.
The Eagon girls heard from Lawrence Wheeler. They are coming as soon as they can get back.
I think Ben will be tighter than ever now, for he will want to pay off the mortgage on the store.
Miss Keith’s house only burned in the attic, the fire shot thru by the stove pipe, the snow on the roof put it out. It was only smoking by the time the Fire Department got there.
I am glad the blueberry pies taste good to you so you will not miss the huckleberries.
If car fare is so high there it will pay you to drive the old Ford after you get it back there. We are not going to waste money as we have in the past years. I feel we have learned a lot in the past 7 ½ years, at least I know I have. Life holds something more in it for me than it did then.
Carl is not a worker as you are, and a poor manager. It is too bad he felt he had to leave Mpls. and his streetcar job. It would have been paying good now.
We fed our birds today. We certainly don’t look like flowers and robins just now. Still the funny part of it is, this can be all gone and spring here within a few hours if a rain came or a Chinook wind.
The Dieckadears and Dubbins do not speak. Mrs. Dubbins told me she had told Ed she was going to read her lesson each morning if she had to leave him in order to do it. He is the one that is so mad at those other folks.
I won’t be able to save anything toward the note this week but will try to save as much as I can next week. We will have to handle the thought of supply and know our every need is met. In Feb. we will have to send mother 3.50 interest. I will tell you when and then you can hold it out of what you are to send me. You see I had figured pretty close when I wanted you to get your suit, thought if I did run behind a little could catch up after the two weeks was up. Then when you wrote about loaning money and having to hold out on us I was ready to just give up trying.
I have gotten out of the blue stage and am ready to try again. Will have to buy Helen’s shoes right after the first.
It is still blowing, will go to bed. Lee has given out word that there will be school tomorrow. With lots of love from all, Sadie.
Cash Spent Jan 1929
Groceries 18.08
Jensen & Co. 45.00
Milk bill 6.50
Cash store 1.50
Washing machine 10.00
Water bill 1.45
Rockdale 5.23
Lindrude & Johnson 1.75
Gladys picture for annual 1.00
Gladys ___ 0.50
Money order & stamps 1.15
School lunches 1.27
Newspaper 1.10
Church and Sunday School 1.65
Shoes 0.75
Music lesson 1.00
Stocking(39¢), ___(10¢), candles(10¢) 0.59
Weighed 3 times 0.03
Meat (have charged some) 1.00
Writing paper, envelopes, cards 1.00
Ice cream(75¢), gum(10¢), candy(10¢), dye(15¢) 1.10
Haircut 0.50
Spent 102.15
On hand Jan. 1, 1929 10.76
Jan 4 check 40.00
Jan 5 Gladys 1.00
Jan 11 check 30.00
Jan 13 Gladys 0.25
Jan 15 check 20.00
Money 0.21
102.22
Spent 102.15
Feb 1st balance on hand 0.0

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading