Sunday, December 12, 2010

2/28/1944 Jim Erwin to Gladys Dahlstrom

Jim at Lakeland Field, Florida
Gladys at Guyon Hotel, Chicago
Dear Gladys,
Have received two nice letters from you and have finally found time to answer them.
Thanks very much for the dollar. I can always use it.
The place isn’t nearly as bad as anticipated. Have met a lot of lovely girls and have been having quite a time.
By the indications, we will be leaving sometime in March for P.O.E [point of embarkation].
The weather has been hot and everybody is getting tan.
Two fellows and myself from my squadron and an M.P. went on a party Saturday night. My girl’s car got a leak in gasoline just before she was to pick us up, so the girls took us out to some lake and had a wiener roast. The cab picked us up again about 3 in the morning and brought us to the field. Then the women went home. They really must have had a bill.
Our passes were up at midnight but the M.P. got us back on the field okay. We had a wonderful time.
I filed my income tax return and found out that the government owes me a little money. To be exact, it is $134.00. Good news to me.
You are probably glad to have your place empty again. Viola sure stayed long enough.
Yes, I’ve been in the army a year and a couple days now. The time has gone fast. Have really had a swell time and met plenty of people. Have seen plenty of country too. Don’t regret any of it a bit.
Haven’t told Mother that I think we’ll be across within the next two months. Can’t ever tell what will come up in the meantime to change their minds so haven’t mentioned it yet. She probably figures on it anyway tho.
Our weather is still hot and am getting a good tan (guess I said that before).
Last Monday night I scored 25 points in a basketball game. Made me feel darn good ‘cus I  was tight the night before and in Tampa all afternoon of the game. We haven’t lost a game yet so hope to win the championship. We start our softball league tonight.
It’s my day off today so am trying to catch up a little on my mail. Have a date tonight and every night after. Sure having a swell time. Hope we won’t leave next month.
I’ll write again soon and let you know how everything comes out.
With love,
Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading