Thursday, November 6, 2008

457 2/14/1943 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Sunday, February 14, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I do not have so very much news except that the boys lost again in Toronto last night. Montreal won their game so are now only 1 point or ½ game behind us. If they gain any more to get ahead of us it will put the Hawks out of the playoffs. Of course that is what I am pulling for because Cully could then be home by April 1st.
Your letter came day before yesterday and yesterday Ruthie’s valentine. Thank you so much. She got several and is so excited she can hardly wait for Cully to get home. They will get in around 2 o’clock this afternoon and play the Boston Bruins tonight.
I’ve been wondering about Florence so was glad to hear her baby had arrived. I sure hope I have a boy this time – not so much for myself but for Cully. He says though he wouldn’t be as disappointed this time as before because now he knows little girls are nice.
Mrs. Klinge must have gotten my letter soon after she called you because I sent it airmail. Don’t know what doctors are left in Enumclaw but it really doesn’t matter much. Just so there is one around – these things do not worry me much because I know everything will go fine anyway.
Glad Stella is feeling better. She had quite a long time of being layed up.
Guess I told you I am leaving here the 19th instead of the 22nd. That is next Friday morning. I thought it would be nice to spend a weekend with the folks in Minneapolis. It probably will be easier to see Edna and family then too. I will be in Minneapolis until the morning of the 26th so maybe you can send one letter there that week.
Cully is flying. Gained two more points in Montreal Thursday night. Now that he feels 100% there is no better player on the ice. He is happier now too.
The Prices sent me a beautiful English china plate from N.Y. Cully gave them tickets for the game so I suppose that is why.
I will carry plenty of money with me in case I need it for anything at all.
Our big box is nearly packed so we probably will get it sent about Wednesday. It will go freight collect. Will you have money to pay for it in case it arrives before I get there? It will be between $10.00 and $15.00. Let me know – it might not get there ahead of me. It is awfully big and heavy so perhaps can be put out in the garage.
Our weather is cold again – around zero. I will be glad to leave this cold country.
Monday
Cully came home sick so I have him in bed. He has a terribly sore throat and swollen glands and aches all over. I feel sorry for him but it makes me mad. Of course he couldn’t go to the game so I didn’t either. The boys won 3-2. The doctor has been here twice giving him junk. I must get out to buy some oranges and other groceries so will get this mailed. Hope Cully can play Thursday as it will be my last game to see. Ruthie was so glad to see Cully that she won’t leave him alone – she crawls all over him.
The picture turned out pretty good – please save it for me. I will write again before I leave.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading