Wednesday, October 22, 2008

763 6/14/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Friday, June 14, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
Another cloudy and rainy day. Had a little fire in the heater this morning.
Gladys felt like crying last night. Smiths came home after 7. Then, of course, did not pay us. I let her change the 10.00 I had for Swain’s and take 50 cents of it with her to Tacoma last night. We both had a hard day with the Smith kids. We have decided we will be pretty hungry before we take care of those kids again.
Well, the tent show is still with us. I understand when it goes the carnival is coming to take its place. The kids of the neighborhood have an awful time trying to take in all the shows. Some of the boys, James Eagon and two younger Johnson boys and others about their age walked around the tent when they first arrived. So the show people gave them passes. So they let the girls have some of their passes. Then some boys will go in, then one will take all their passes and go out after more boys. Helen says as soon as the lights go off the kids crawl in under the tent, those that are not fortunate enough to have a pass or a dime. It is a great life to be a kid. They certainly only live one day at a time.
I was going to send you a clipping from the Star but guess the paper got destroyed. It is about a new law just gone into effect. All out of state cars have to register within 24 hours after reaching here. That is one reason I thought it might be well to buy a Washington license but suppose we would then have to do the same in Minneapolis if we did that. It looks as though we are not to have any settled weather until after the Fourth. Old timers never look for it, so guess it must be the usual thing.
I read in the paper about another storm Minnesota and Wisconsin have had. Did not mention it to the girls because they figure after the first real storm they have back there, they will be ready to return home.
Helen just came in with two letters, yours of Monday evening and one from Grace Swager. She will arrive Monday morning at 8:10. Not a word about how long she intends to stay.
It sometimes seems as though the easiest way out would be to tell you to come home. I just work and work and skimp and skimp. I am so tired most of the time, I feel as though I wish I never had to get up again. Now that bunch coming. I suppose I’ll live through it because I can’t do anything else. I must stop now, write Gladys a special delivery letter to tell he to come home tomorrow night if she possibly can.
Will answer your letter tonight. With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading