Tuesday, November 25, 2008

11 6/30/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Friday, June 30, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
By the time this arrives you will be home, Mom, and glad I know. I have wished I knew where you were staying in Portland so I could have a letter there for you. I hope you enjoyed your annual meeting and were able to get some rest quick. Today your letter came written in Nebraska.
Betty Davy couldn't get reservations up here so took the day coach with her two children. She arrived in Knoxville last night at 10:30 but Bill wasn't there to meet her as he hadn't received her wire so she sat up all night in the depot as she couldn't afford a hotel room. This morning she took a bus to the reservation and called Bill at to office and he went and got her.
Sunday Noon
Deans came over last night so I didn't get to finish my letter. To get back to Betty, Bill brought her over here for the day but I was glad to help her out. She had run out of diapers for the baby so she was wet and hungry as all the milk was sour but I soon got them all fixed up. I had them stay for dinner and then Elmer took them over to their house which is even closer than I even thought. By things Betty said, Elmer says she really sounded as though she will be a nuisance by expecting me to take care of her kids and everything but I just won't do it.
I had a letter from Mrs. Gillard and she said they didn't go up to our apartment until after the new people had moved in and by then the tools were gone. She said the colored girl the new people had up there must have taken the things. We don't believe that at all as we feel sure Mrs. Gillard hurried up to the apartment as soon as we drove away. She also asked me for my sugar stamps and I'm glad she won't be getting them. I'm sure she would be honest but I wouldn't trust her husband very far. Don't feel bad about the tools though because Elmer has already bought new ones. He and Jimmie are out picking blackberries now.
Friday night Mary Francis took care of the kids and we went to a play at the high school and then to a dance on the reservation. It was lots of fun. We ate dinner at the cafeteria first so really had an outing. Mary Francis said as soon as we left Jimmie went in his room and went to bed and wouldn't talk to her at all.
Tuesday night we are going on a picnic at the Deans. We will take Jimmie but leave Mary home. She is a wonderful baby. Just sleeps all the time and is good and contented the short times she is awake. When we went out Friday night I left a formula for her that the hospital had given me in Lake Charles. She drank it all and didn't get any bad effects from it.
You know our shower had no spray so today I looked in the house on the other side of ours and they had one so Elmer took it and put it in our shower so it works swell now. Everyone is doing that so I don't feel guilty and the place next to us may not be rented for a long time.
Wasn't that a wonderful picture of Jim and his pal?
Sunday Night
This letter is being written in snatches but at least I'll have it ready for Elmer to mail in the morning. This afternoon we all had a nap and then Betty came over and wanted to know if they could use Jimmie's baby bed but Elmer told her he was planning on putting it up today for Mary, which was the truth although he didn't get it done but probably will tomorrow night. She borrowed two of my blankets already and Bill had me buy them a broom which cost a dollar and a half and hasn't even mentioned paying me for it. Elmer is going to ask Bill for it if they don't see to remember it soon. Betty never did pay me the 80 cents for the shower present in Lake Charles and I let that go by but I think anything more is too much don't you?
Mom, you really started something when you started telling Jimmie the nursery rhymes and stories. He loves them and has to hear them every night and all the time. We both tell them to him and then he says he wants Meemaw to tell him. He still asks where you are and wants to know why you didn't take Mary with you because he thinks she is yours. Today I was using the scissors and he said they were yours and he still wants you to come to bed with him in his room. Elmer got the writing desk painted and it looks nice. The paint is a mahogany color and we're going to paint the kitchen set the same color. He got the table and stool painted today.
I'm glad you stuck up for the Deans, Mom because I really enjoy them now. Elmer likes them too but so many don't seem to I guess that's what put me against them. Most everyone who doesn't like them is a little envious of them I believe and of Olney staying out of the army. They certainly are much nicer people than the Davies.
I bet you are glad Mom is home again Pop. I wonder how Jim happened to start calling you dad in his letters. He probably decided it sounded more grown up. I hope you are feeling fine.
I'll be anxious to hear all about your trip home, Mom and I'll get your pin sent to you soon.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading