Tuesday, November 25, 2008

22 7/19/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, July 19, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It was good to get Mother's nice letter this morning. I do not get much mail these days but I guess I can't expect to when I do not write much.
The little Children's Book came for Ruthie the other day - thanks so much. I believe I am enjoying it even more than she. The little stories are not too long and so sweet.
Cully likes the books you sent and feels he is getting a lot of good from them. He is so enthused about studying and learning and says he knows he will make good because he has no fear and he knows there are no failures. He also adds that why he knows this is because it isn't himself that is doing it but that his intelligence comes from God. I couldn't tell you where he gets his ideas because as far as I know he hasn't been reading any C. S. except now and then some little article I hand to him.
Your work on Cully's clothes is greatly appreciated. He says something about it almost every day. You did such a good job of it and those things were of no use at all the way they were.
So sorry to hear the report on the Koenig boy. Let's hope he may turn up soon - although many boys were lost and I suppose some can't help but be ones we know.
I saw my first major league baseball game last night. The White Sox lost 4-2 against Boston in the eleventh inning. It was a good game and I enjoyed it very much. There were over 22,000 people there.
Today Cully is attending the Democrat Convention at the Stadium. Utah Radio is taking care of the broadcast angle - loud speakers or something so he went down to help. I guess his job is to get each delegate's name, etc. as he speaks so he had to have a pass to get up on the main floor. He called awhile ago to tell me about it and was thrilled to pieces.
The furnace man or men are supposed to be here today. It will be nice to get that all fixed. As soon as it is we will order our winter supply of coal.
My washing machine is wonderful. It is so nice to know I don't have to do all those things by hand. I wash often so it doesn't pile up then I can keep up with the ironing too.
The half slips I mentioned are silk slips with elastic around the waist and no top. I think they were in the tan trunk. If you do not come across them it is okay - I just thought they might be nice for warm weather. Two cotton slips will be plenty for me - send any others to Helen. I can use the pink or red rug in my kitchen in front of my sink - I seem to get so much water on my floor. If I didn't have it on the list and if it isn't too much trouble I really could use my scrub board - it is under where the box of papers is - also my clothes pin bag - I believe it is out on the porch someplace. Have you been able to line up most of the things we had down? If not don't worry about it - or if some of the things are clumsy or hard to pack just leave them out. I sure hope we can get out next summer.
I enjoyed Louise very much. She stayed just the one day then went back to her Aunt Minnie at Napperville.
Evelyn and I have nurse girls coming tomorrow afternoon so we can go over on Ashland to bowl a few games. If we can get good enough we would like to get into a league and bowl one evening a week this winter and let the fellows stay home with the youngsters.
I'm sending $5.00 that you can call a delayed Anniversary gift. At least you are both home and together now.
How did you come out on your ticket? I've been wondering if you had to wait or if they gave you a refund right away. I enjoyed Beryl's letter but am not returning it - or do you want it back? I think it nice if Lily can get up to see you.
More soon. Love to all, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading