Thursday, November 6, 2008

465 3/2/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Tuesday, March 02, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your note just came a few minutes ago telling me about Jimmie being inducted into the army. I hope you will get to see or talk to him before he leaves Fort Lewis because this won’t get there before Friday I don’t think. Our telephone number is 6210 R and be sure and tell him if he gets to call me to reverse the charges. If he is sent to this part of the country I certainly will go to see him and maybe he will be able to get furloughs or even weekends off once in a while and he can come and stay with us whenever he can. If I do get to see him I will take lots of pictures and will start right now getting extra films and save them for pictures of Jim.
I am really being lazy today. I haven’t even washed the diapers but will either do them tonight or if they seem to be holding out good I will wait until tomorrow morning to do them. It is still cloudy and rainy out and is supposed to turn cold but I don’t mind a little chilly weather now and then because it never lasts very long.
My cold is much better today. Last night we went to bed at nine o’clock and this morning after Elmer left I took Jimmie back to bed with me and he slept until quarter to nine so I did too.
Will you get to see Jim before he leaves Fort Lewis? It would be nice if you could see him in his uniform but maybe he won’t have to wait very long before he gets a furlough long enough to get him home for a visit. I know you will miss him like the dickens. I’m glad we had a chance to get prepared for his going though because that way we kind of get used to his having to go. I still hate to have him leave but if he can only stay in this country it won’t be so bad.
I owe so many letters and every night I think I will answer so many of them but Elmer gets home so late and by the time we finish eating and the dishes it is after eight o’clock and then we go to bed early so I don’t get much done at night. Tomorrow night is Elmer’s bowling night so I hope to get lots of letters answered. What about the payments on your car now. I remember you said you borrowed the money from Cully but I suppose it will take longer now to pay for it since Jimmie was buying part of it too. Was Jim able to save any money while he was working. I know he got some war bonds and they will be nice to have. If you know of anything Jim would like I really wish you would tell me so I can get it for him. I know they all like to get packages so I want to send him things.
I just had to take time off and go and look for Jimmie because he was so quiet I didn’t know what he was doing but he was sitting on the floor in the kitchen eating the garbage out of the wastepaper basket and seemed to be enjoying it.
You are lucky you have space for a garden. I wish I could plant one but if I could, by the time the vegetables started to come up we would have to move. Are Stella and Harold going to have a garden again this year too?
I’m glad Gladys arrived there o.k. and let me know right away when her baby comes. I hope she is feeling good and I’m glad she got out there in time to see Jim. I’ll stop for now folks, but will write more later.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading