Wednesday, October 29, 2008

395 3/23/1939 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, March 23, 1939
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Girls,
Tonight I shall write to you both and then send this to Helen’s address.
Today was such a grand day. I washed on the back porch and then worked in the yard most of the afternoon.
Stella was over with Bernice. Grandma Blanchatt had given her a lovely pink silk dress. Bernice looks like a big beautiful doll in it. Stella bought her some pink ankle socks and white shoes.
She and Harold are so proud of her. Stella is invited to a shower Sunday. She is going to take the baby to show her off. Everyone thinks she is a lovely baby.
Jimmie started taking clarinet lessons today from a teacher that comes up from Seattle. He is an older man and Jim has a lot of respect for his knowledge of music. Tonight he is up to Mr. Pea’s house practicing for this contest he is in next month.
As soon as basketball was over Jim turned out for tennis. He gets home just in time for supper and is all tired out.
We plan to take our dinner and go up to the cabin Sunday. Jim is so anxious to go too. Of course we will take Jack.
I have been thinking of your new friend Melvin. Of course you would[n’t] fall for him when he is Jim’s age but I am glad you were nice to the boy. There is so much sorrow in this old world. We do not come in contact with it very often but there is plenty of it nevertheless. You can help with your thoughts by knowing God is his father and mother and he is always supplied with love.
I’d like to bring him out here and put him thru school. Wonder how he and Jimmie would get along. Wasn’t it funny how he happened to know Buster. Didn’t it surprise you when he said he knew Buster Dibley? Things like that do make this world seem small. As soon as we see Buster we will tell him all about it.
Tell me about the Saturday you take him out for lunch. I am glad this Blackie and Al are kind to him.
As I wrote last night, I am surprised you have decided not to come out with Gladys. We shall be glad to have you come out next summer to stay. I do want you to be fair with Miss Lindeberg too. She has been kind to you and has liked you. You do not want to disappoint her by putting one over on her.
Don’t be afraid you will not be able to pass a driver’s test. After I went with Jim I shall not mind it at all. It really is more an eye test than anything. As far as the questions they ask, we have a book with questions asked which you can study. Then anyone can go with you and even help you to fill out the blank question sheet they give you.
Papa has the radio on so I guess I’ll quit writing until he is thru. I do not seem to be able to think clearly with it going.
The radio is shut off. Jim has come home but I am so sleepy I think I had better go to bed.
Will go over your letters and answer them better the next time I write.
Much love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading