Tuesday, November 4, 2008

440 3/3/1942 Robert A Carlson to Helen Carlson

Robert A Carlson
Fort Dix, New Jersey
Tuesday, March 03, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

Dear Elmer & Helen:
I received your package the other day and it was most appreciated. I hated to go into it almost, it looked so nice.
I am finishing this tonight as long as I have to turn in the Morning Report every night, I might as well type it as to write it. I just hate to write with a pen. I expect to go into New York City this weekend again but I'm not sure of getting off. I'm supposed to meet this babe from New Haven there, with a couple of friends.
There are sure a lot of rumors going around such as us becoming a replacement center and staying here, etc. The longer we stay here the more I hate to think of us pulling anchor. I thought if we stayed here a long time I would want to be on the move, but I'm starting to like this area.
I received your letter also since I saw you. I don't remember if I told you about the letter one of the fellows got from a fellow in Ireland. It seems that if a fellow has a candy bar over there, the girls just flock around you. They must have a shortage of sugar over there too. They sure get lousy food on the way over on the boat.
It seems funny to think that Spring is right around the corner, as it hasn't seemed like a winter at all to me, like it would in Minnesota. I don't exactly miss a cold, snowy winter though.
Well I sure hope I have the opportunity to visit you sometime this July when it's about 80 above outside. I took an examination for Officer's Training School, but I don't think anything will come of it. They give you a good physical though with a Wasserman test, etc. it seems like they take about a pint of blood out of you for it. The 1st Sgt. Told me today I am to be a Sgt. As soon as the order comes out. It doesn't mean anything to me except something to write home about.
I made out an allotment last month for $25.00 sent home every month, and then I made out a substitute allotment, changing it to $35.00 a month and I received an acknowledgment of the $25.00 one but not the $35.00 one. So if they only receive $25.00 at home this month I will be getting gypped out of $10.00 as I deducted $35.00 out of my pay. But I'll only deduct $15.00 next month if I have to, to get even, as I am the one who enters the deductions, etc. on the payroll. Boy there are a million ways I could gyp the Govt and nobody would be the wiser but I won't try it just yet. Well I'm about out of news for now, so I'll sign off. Thanks again for the package. Say Elmer, don't you and, I can't think of his name now, work too hard at that strenuous job of yours. Say hello to, (I am embarrassed) that other family.
Bob

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading