Sunday, November 23, 2008

600 5/28/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Sunday, May 28, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
Have not written to you since Thursday. Hardly have had time to think what day it is even.
Helen came home just before noon Thursday. That afternoon and evening all her friends started to call on her and bring their kids. We have gotten so we hate to see anyone coming. It is so hot too which does not help me any. I did not get the baby’s washing done until after five tonight. Today we had only 6 grown-ups and 4 kids come to call. None stayed very long for a wonder. I have tried to know that we could not be bothered as we were the first day she came home. It was only the third day and none of them seemed to have any sense.
A letter came from you Friday and again Saturday. Do hope you are feeling alright now. I have been working for you night and morning while in bed and it is quiet. It was too bad I had to leave you at the time I did, but Helen certainly needed me if she ever did. It cost Elmer $50.00 to go to Tennessee so it would have cost him $100.00 to come home and return. He is doing some secret work. A man met him in Knoxville and wired Helen that Elmer had arrived. He is stationed 40 miles out somewhere. Elmer wrote Helen to send her Kodak to Enumclaw for she would not be allowed to have it there.
I took some oranges, but not as many as I had planned to or could have used. My box was filled with other things.
Kansas City is very pretty. A lot of lovely homes there and many big buildings downtown. Brown has another guess coming about the restaurant at the depot. The depot is large and also the restaurant which was filled all the time, but the food was the poorest and cost the most of any place I ate. The diner was cheaper and ever so much better. I’d never eat there again if I could help it.
I like Lake Charles and think it would be a nice place to spend the winters. Last night I could not sleep until nearly morning on account of the heat and this is not their hottest weather.
Little Jimmie is a nice little boy. I think he is going to like the baby. At first he cried so much after Helen came home if she tried to keep him away from the baby or get him to do anything.
I’ll try to write more tomorrow night. I am getting too sleepy now.
With love, Sadie
I’ll keep on helping you.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading