Thursday, October 23, 2008

260 9/30/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, September 30, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I'll start a note while I'm waiting for Della to come back for lunch.
This furniture business has kept me busy calling back and forth. Elmer helped Mr. Knutson get the furniture over to his place - I'll have to do something for him later. Mr. K is having a heck of a time to know what to do with the mattress. He can't roll it. I called every furniture store I could think of trying to get a mattress carton. They can get one but have to order it and that takes time. I guess he can get one on Lake Street for $1.00. That's probably what he will have to do.
I hope it isn't going to cost you folks too much to get it out there. I had no way to get the hangers down so let it go - also the night table. I forgot to mention the books. He is sending them too.
Received your nice letter, Mother. I know just how excited every one was about the game. Were Pop and Jim disappointed that Washington lost? Too bad they couldn't have seen the game too. The kids were certainly lucky to get in the student section.
Helen will have a lovely time, I know. So Buss was right there to take her out. I wonder how she feels about him. I bet his girl friend didn't like the idea so well.
Helen promised she'd write while she was on the train. I gave her stationery and even stamps but I suppose she got too interested in other things.
I'm awfully glad the jars arrived O.K. I had them packed pretty tight but I know they get plenty rough with the baggage.
I called the Universal again. It is going to cost $2.86 per 100 lb with a 10¢ per 100# insurance. I'm not going to insure it for any more because it would cost extra and amount to quite a little. There is no reason why anything should be broken or lost anyway. Mr. K will take care of the Bill of Lading, etc. and I'll get it later and send it on to you. The coat of yours is packed in the big chair.
I don't think I'll be at Pearson's when Helen gets back. Some people came to look at it last night and almost took the place. We thought we'd all have to get out by the First. They don't want me to look for anything. Wally said they'd always have room for a while - that I could sleep with Adelyn and he with Earle. That is rather foolish because it would make a double move. I am going out tonight to look for a place. If I can find something I will move right away. You'd better keep sending all mail to the office. When I have our addresses changed. I'll have Mother's, Pop's, and Jim's forwarded to Washington. I might as well. All you can get is coal ads, etc. but something may come some day that you'd want.
Mrs. Prall has rooms. I'm going over there too and just see what she has. If I can't find what I want, I'll stay with Wally and Adelyn until Helen gets back.
Well, I'll stop and get this mailed. Will try to write every day. I'll call Knutson's tonight to find out if the stuff is on its way.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading