Wednesday, October 22, 2008

760 5/8/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, May 08, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
I went to the P.T.A. this afternoon with Mrs. Kyle. Saw Mrs. Swain. Of course she did not approve of the Senior Sneak. Some way or other I have a horrid feeling of hating everything after visiting with her. Could not sell everything fast enough to get out of town. Then when I visit with others, like Mrs. Van. and Mrs. Kyle, all Enumclaw looks beautiful and I want to stay.
Nels Hansen came home from prison yesterday. I heard he had a good position in the White River office but don’t know how true.
We have not had any frost for ever so long. It rains a lot and we have to have a little fire during the day if it is raining but it is not really cold. I fight with Jimmie most of the time to have him wear a coat. He tells me it is too warm. Everything is very green and the lilacs are blossoming. Everything is nearly a month late this year.
I have never tried toast with cinnamon on it. Will do so some time and see what the children think of it.
No, I have not seen anything of the Green River Gorge people since her brother passed on.
Yes, Jimmie and Dean are good friends. They have been together ever since Dean was one year old.
We will try not to take advantage of you when we get to Minneapolis and make you do all the work. I might get too fat. I have gotten down to 136 lb and certainly don’t want to gain any.
Miss Mullen told me today that she was going to summer school, then to Minneapolis. Said she went back every summer, but the climate was so much nicer here that she liked the West best.
I feel pretty tired tonight. Gladys has not come home yet. Stella and Jimmie are in bed. Helen washed my dishes then went to Smith’s tonight. I did not go to church for I know I could not keep awake. I nearly went to sleep at the P.T.A.
Tom Meehan has been sick for nearly two months. Supposed to be caused from poison from bad teeth. I saw him on the street today but he does not walk very good yet.
Yes, you left the state but it cost you as much as though you had stayed here so you did not get away from paying your wife’s bills. We have both worked hard, gone without a lot of things in order to the best we can for the children and I think on the whole they are pretty nice kids.
Mrs. Eagon told me yesterday that they felt sorry to have us move away. That she and Clyde both liked to have their girls with ours for our girls were such nice girls.
I am afraid you won’t get your cake for Mother’s Day but maybe I will get one sent this week. You see I don’t stay home long enough. Now tomorrow we expect to go out to Schweikl’s. I don’t know just when I will get my ironing done. Helen told me she would help me tomorrow after school.
I will leave this letter to write more tomorrow after I come home. You would not get it until Monday anyway. This way I will save a stamp by sending two letters in one.
May 9th, Thursday evening.
Gladys has gone to practice, Stella at Patterson’s and Helen and Jimmie out playing around here and Eagon’s.
Jimmie and I went out to Mrs. Schweikl’s today and had a very good lunch and nice visit.
Esther Jensen and Gladys got home last night just before 1 A.M. All tired out but had had a grand time. The Senior’s had had a hard time to get out of town Wednesday morning. They were to meet at Black Diamond at 4.
De Young did not get there until nearly 5 and the Juniors right after him. They had gotten hold of Miss Smith and disabled her car. She finally got one of her uncle’s cars and sent little Harry, that used to work at the store, to Black Diamond to tell the Seniors to meet her in Olympia because she could not get away from the Juniors. Well when De Young got to B. D. he gave the word to the Seniors to tie the Junior boys as there were only a few there, then they took all the air out of their tires and left them. Drove to Olympia. The Juniors followed Miss Smith as far as Tacoma. She gave them a merry time, took them out to Point Defense, then back to town and finally got away. After they all reached Olympia they had a swell breakfast at the Olympia Hotel. Went all through the Capitol, then drove 20 miles beyond Shelton to some lodge on the Sound. Had lunch, then they played cards during the afternoon in a room with a big fireplace overlooking the Sound. Then they drove up the Hood’s Canal, ferried over to Tacoma. Had dinner there last night, then to a show and home. There were 48 in all, 9 cars went, three chaperones, Mrs. Frank Ingles, Miss Smith and Mr. De Young. This class all through school has been considered the most unusual class they have had. Never have done what has been expected of them even to electing De Young for class president. Well, they were angels, never did a wrong thing all day. Everyone was happy. No fights and the chaperones were real proud of them.
We did not hear from you yesterday but your good letter of Sunday was waiting for me today. I don’t like the sound of your ice and frost. We have not had any for so long we have forgotten about it.
Well, you asked me what I want to do about coming East. First of all, I do not want to live here and you there much longer. I get awfully lonesome without you and often wish you would walk in and we would just forget about making a move. I really want to do what is right for all. You are the one that has to work and you should be where you can earn your living the best and where you are the happiest. As far as me I don’t care if I never see Minneapolis. Sometime I should like to visit at Frank’s again but am in no hurry about it. If you don’t have any hopes of ever getting much more there, then I am sure I prefer to take chances with the West. I certainly would never worry about you not finding work here. We know, if it were right for you to return here, the work would be here for you. I don’t want you to feel you must stay there just because you feel you would disappoint me. We are trying to be led to do the right thing. It’s not for us to say what is best for us all. If it is right to go, there will surely be a way to make it possible, if it seems best not to, we will be very happy here. The children want to go for the trip and are willing to stay a year, so they say, but do not want me to sell the house or furniture. To them this is home and they want to feel they can return and find everything as they leave it.
You certainly were being cared for when you found that door key hanging on the outside last Sunday night. Speck certainly has a gang around most of the time. I guess so many people do not worry here as it would me.
Don’t throw or give away those cheap shirts that shrank, for someone of us can wear them on camping trips.
Yes, I am trying to get Gladys fixed up as good as I can so she will not feel unhappy about her graduation. I paid for one dozen pictures yesterday and owe 6.00 for the second dozen to be paid in June. Have changed the cloth for her Class Day dress. What I change will not have to be paid for until the interest and taxes are out of the way.
This is one time I do not want her to feel disappointed. I will alter the silk dress Mrs. Zilliax gave her for graduation so that will save at least 10.00.
It is after eleven so I will close for tonight. Will send you her picture tomorrow. I know you will like it. It is a very pretty picture and looks so natural of her.
With much love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading