Sunday, November 30, 2008

133 12/19/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Friday, December 19, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I've actually been worrying about getting a letter written to you as I have less time now than I did when I was going to the office every day. Now I type labels at home and have been typing until 12 and 1 o'clock every night to get them done and also do as many as possible during the day. I will get paid only once a month so haven't had a check yet. I haven't even addressed my Christmas cards yet but hope to do that tomorrow (Sat.)
I suppose you have heard from Glad. I went down and met her train and then went over to Dahlstrom's with them for breakfast. I got home about nine that morning and started typing my labels. In the afternoon I took Jimmy sliding over at Powderhorn and Elmer stayed home and typed. Monday I had to go down to the office so I met Glad and her girls down there. Glad saw some of her friends and had a short visit with Miss Lindeberg. Then we took the children over to Donaldson's and let them have several rides on all the things in Toyland. After that we had lunch and Gladys then had to go over to Viola's. I haven't seen her since as they left for Chicago Wednesday morning but I hope to have a good visit with her when they get back. I hope they will have a chance to come over here as Mr. Carlson is anxious to see them.
Mary had quite a bad accident last Friday. She fell off the chair onto the waste basket and cut her eyebrow just terrible. It was awfully deep and quite long and when Elmer came home and saw it he said it had to be stitched so we took her to a doctor and he put three stitches in it. When he jabbed the novocaine needle in her forehead she didn't say a word. I stood there and knew the truth and she didn't cry at all the whole time. I was supposed to take her back yesterday to have the stitches removed but I am trying to get the tape off from her first as I know the doctor will just yank it off and it is stuck to her hair. I asked the druggist if there was something that would lessen adhesive tape and he gave me some cleaning fluid. We put some on the tape and it loosened it all right and also burned her so now she is afraid to let us touch her at all so I don't know how I'll get the stuff off and I just have to take her back tomorrow and get those stitches taken out.
Our heat is in the new house and we also got oil. The aren't taking any new orders but Mr. Carlson spent all one morning trying to get oil for us and finally succeeded. The plasterer came today and got the first coat on. Now he has to let that dry a week before he puts on the second coat. We are sure we will be in some time in January.
Cousin Agnes called me last Sunday and when I told her Gladys was here she invited us over so we are going over Tuesday for lunch. I thought I would see Ruthie and Jeannie often while Glad was gone but I haven't been able to as I have had to go down to the office every day this week and have had so much typing to do. Today Mrs. Dahlstrom wanted me to come over and comb their hair and I got all ready and the kids all ready and the car wouldn't start. I couldn't take the street car way over there because Mary hadn't had a nap and was sleepy and I knew I would have to carry her and it was cold out. Instead I called the garage and they came after the car. I still won't have the car tomorrow so will have to take the street car after all. I didn't want any typing for the weekend but Elmer stopped at the office after work to pick up an overtime check due me when I worked there and they talked him into bringing home 300 labels to be typed by Monday. He says he will do them but it would take him forever.
Frances Woodfield called me the other day. She wants Glad and me to come over but Gladys isn't very anxious to see Frances as she didn't get a very cordial welcome last time.
Glad says you folks are still working so terribly hard and never get any sleep. It worries me like everything to have you have to work all the time and be tired all the time. How are you coming along? Is your business still good. I suppose it has dipped off some since summer as all things do. I really wish you could have things easier. In fact I just don't see how you keep it up. I wish there was some solution.
I'll be thinking of you at Christmas. We are spending it alone. Christmas Eve Florence is having all the family over and Christmas Day Nellie is having every one over but since we will have a chance to be alone here we aren't going to either place. Glad said they would come over Christmas Day.
Well Folks I will try to write again soon and have a nice Christmas.
Love, Helen
P.S. There are presents for Jim and Ruth in your package. I could pack it better by sending their things with yours.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading