Friday, November 28, 2008

784 10/14/1946 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, October 14, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Alexandria, Ohio

Dear Sadie,
We received your card and letter this morning and we were glad to hear that you were getting along fine.
Jim didn’t wake up until 12:45 this noon, but I got along ok. He is coming right home this evening and get to bed. He will go up with me in the morning and we should get a lot done with both of us there.
We didn’t quite make the 200 mark Saturday but went 214 Sunday. We are all out of meat except one box of wieners and won’t get anything until Thursday. We had a run on bread Saturday. The bakery and all the other stores were out by 4 PM. We had a few loaves over, got fresh bread before 1 PM. We got 112 bread and 40 dozen donuts and some pastry. We had 10 bread left over and that didn’t last long this morning. We had a cold Saturday and cold and rain Sunday.
Did I tell you that Mrs. Rose sent supper up to us Saturday evening. Meat pie, Jell-O salad, coffee and pie. Mrs. Rose is a good cook . If I hadn’t known that it was from her house, I would say that it was your cooking. Sunday the Dahlstroms brought us potatoes, meat and pie on their way home.
Jim might get some rice up this afternoon.
I am home now. I paid the phone and water bills and took 2 pair, not three, trousers to the cleaner’s.
Rose’s address seems to be 1930 Emerson Ave. So. Phone was Kenwood 4-717. Found a loose slip says Rose Winter, 1915 Hennepin Ave., August 1941.
Stella and Harold are out hunting. I guess you know about that. The other ___ man brought us ___ Friday, so did Joe. Joe brought in another bunch today.
We are getting along fine and want you to come back that way.
I hope that the elderly lady got through Chicago ok.
Well, I must stop and get back to work.
Love, Albert
P.S. Well, had a very slow start today but ended up with $124. That wasn’t so bad.
Jim and I played three games of cribbage this evening. He won two games.
I stopped at Fannie Klaggsai’s place this evening and had a cup of coffee and two pieces of pie. Jim got home and couldn’t find me so came downtown and had coffee with me.
We just played some more cribbage. He won three and I won two. It is now 11:30 so I must get to bed. Jim is getting up when I do.
___ order came in this afternoon but no syrup. The driver told Jim that last week he was delivering south of Olympia and every order had a case of syrup. We will ride the salesman when he comes again.
Meat control will be off in the morning so I suppose meat will come back and be high. I hope that you find Ben much better. Jim says that you know that the Dakota girl lives in Fargo, North Dakota.
Love, Albert

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading