Wednesday, November 12, 2008

554 2/26/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, February 26, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter and lecture came a good many days ago. Since Viola left it has been so nice to be alone. I guess I’ve gotten lazy. I have answered quite a few letters that I owed for a long time though so am caught up a little.
Enjoyed the lecture and when Cully gets home will have him read it and then send it on to Mabel unless you would rather I send it to Helen or Jim. Let me know?
I’ve been wanting to ask you what you hear from or about the Woodfills? Francis was to have her baby in January and send me a notice but I haven’t heard a thing. I hope Mrs. Woodfill continues to feel better too. Hazel must be back home by now.
Our snow and ice is nearly gone. There is a real hard, warm wind blowing today. I shopped this morning but want to take the kids out again when Ruthie wakes up from her nap.
Jeannie finally learned to crawl but still isn’t very interested. If she wants something she will go after it but no further. She is just plain lazy. She is still teething. 3 came through last week – one more will be through anytime and two that are swollen and should be along in another week or so. That will make 12 all together. She hasn’t been bad but just a little fussy and has had a runny nose now for several days.
Tuesday night we had our shower on Mrs. Allen. Everything went fine and she received many beautiful gifts. Our little Cliffie Purpur was injured by sliding into the goal post and punctured his kidney so is in the hospital and out for the year. Helen and I went to see him Wednesday. He has suffered terribly and has fever sores all over his face, around his mouth and nose. He is feeling much better now though. Cully certainly has been guided and protected this year.
Thursday noon I had Mrs. Siekert, our butcher’s wife, and her sister here for lunch. Yesterday Mrs. Bill Tobin (wife of the Black Hawks president) and her little girl called on us. Also later on an ex-Hawk player’s wife and little boy dropped in and stayed for a couple of hours. Just as we were going to eat our supper, which was late on account of all the company, two other girls on the club arrived so they ate with us and didn’t go home until almost midnight last night. Today I’m tired and have so much washing to do – let it go last night as it was late enough when I got to bed. Tomorrow the boys get home around 2 in the afternoon. They will be tired as they play in Toronto tonight and then have that long train ride. Play here again tomorrow night. We are in 4th place just two points ahead of Boston so we need all the wins we can get if we want to make the playoffs.
Bet your bedroom and kitchen look nice. Hope you can get green painting cans too – that will really fix up the place.
Haven’t heard from Marvin yet – hope he does not forget to call us.
I will bring candy home but let me know if there is anything else you want and have a hard time to get. Can you buy Tapioca in the store yet? How about stockings?
I’m enclosing a few brown points that I hope you can use.
Ralph will be here March 4th. I know he is a good kid but I don’t like to think about his being here so long. Of course he can go along with Cully to practice every day so won’t be under my feet every minute. A fellow Cully knows who has a big garage and repair shop is watching for a good car for us. It certainly will be swell if we can drive home.
Must stop as Ruthie just got up. Hope you are both fine – also the Bensons. Wish Stella could find time to write.
Love, Gladys
If we beat Toronto tonight we will be only 2 points (or 1 game) out of 3rd place.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading