Sunday, November 9, 2008

774 7/1/1943 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Nortonia Hotel, Portland, Oregon
Thursday, July 01, 1943
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
I got your letter, which was mailed yesterday, when I went out this morning at 8:30. I call that making good time. It is nice getting mail. There was a letter from Helen this afternoon, and one from Gladys yesterday.
Our weather is cooler, but not cold. The fog covers the sun in the morning but it is shining by noon time.
I ate lunch at a new place this noon which was real good. Yes, I am getting plenty to eat, but sometimes I don't feel like eating at the restaurants. I had fruit and other stuff so ate in my room this morning and again tonight. Think I'll try to get up a little earlier so to go over and have eggs and toast, also cocoa in the morning.
After I ate lunch today I went to the downtown Reading Room to look up some things Mr. Seeley had given us. I knew that we did not have the 1925 bound Journals in Enumclaw so wanted to read the articles while here. A Seattle lady that is in the class came in soon after I did to look up some references. It was fun to be there. They have all the bound copies of the Journals and Sentinels from the first. The Journal was first printed in 1883. They were the same size as the present ones, but put together so differently. There are a lot of nice things about being in a city.
I did not get back to the hotel until 3 P.M. It took me a good hour to go over my notes. I still have a lot of reading to do. We are covering a lot of work and I am learning a lot of things. I know better how to study now and in the future many things will come back to me as I study the lessons, for we discuss what Mrs. Eddy has written from every angle. Mr. Seeley reminds me of Will Bush so much. He is calm and patient - very anxious to have every point of a question understood thoroughly.
I think that is pretty nice for Stella to know how to make such good lemon pies. I'll have to learn how she does it. I know that the candy must have pleased her, for she likes candy as well as I do.
The kids will like the puppy as well as Harold. If it is anything like Duke I think we will too.
If the country needs logs it is hard to understand why the White River Lumber Co. should shut down for three days. Well, it will give Cully and Harold a chance to go fishing or work around home. Guess both have plenty to do.
My money is holding out fine. I have gotten a few little gifts for the kids. Bernice will have a birthday tomorrow, July 2, so I sent a card telling her that I would bring her something.
Whatever you buy put it all down, that comes out of the expenses. You are to have your dollar extra.
I am glad to hear that those people across the street next to the Patterson house have moved. Tom Smith certainly hates them. The night she got cut from her glasses he told her what he thought about her.
I think I had better go down and mail this tonight so you will get it Saturday.
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading